Moving On | A bright Future |

What do you think she'll have!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hello I haven't been on in a long time. Im really excited to announce the breeding of our one ewe has taken place. She was with the ram for about an hour, and I only saw him really mount her one time. He was very interested in her but she was kind of ignoring him. Also they were ramming eachother. there was some tail wagging, and she would stand for him but hes a big ram so she would quickly walk away. How do I tell if shes in heat. Im almost positive she is but.. Idk

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
Sheep, unlike goats, tend to be shy breeders. Most people won't see a breeding take place and most ewes have subtle signs indicating heat. Personally, I would leave your ram in with your ewes for a couple of weeks. You can also buy ram halters and even paint patches which will leave a mark indicating your ewe has been bred. If you change ink colors every 2-3 weeks you will know if she catches on the first heat.

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Its been a few weeks and today I let Reggie meet mammy and she rejected all his advances. Does this mean she is possibly pregnant?

Parsnip

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It's possible. But it's also possible that your ewe is just playing hard to get or is just not in the mood. I have one ewe that even when she is in heat, tends to ignore the ram until he is literally chasing after her. Then and only then she will let him mount haha. Love that ewe, she is such a darling brat. Then after he's done his do, she turns around and fights with him, like ears back rearing up a bit to take him down. He gets so confused??? haha

Lets hope your ewe is pregnant though. That'd mean March lambs!!!

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Haha yep. I have high hopes because, she has like clinged to him before today now she wants nothing to do with him.

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Were they together for just the hour on October 16, or did you leave them together longer?

Last year I put my ram in with the girls November 10, and according to when they gave birth, Rose came into heat 7 days later, and Gracie came into heat 12 days later. I never saw them stand for him.

I hope Mammy is pregnant, but you can always leave them together for a few weeks just to make sure.

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Reggie was left with her for a whole night and by morning mammy was being friendly, and reggie seemed content. Lol what r some ways to see if she is pregnant or in heat...

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Also i think Lily is in a first heat.

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Other than ultrasound, I'm not sure if there's a way to tell if a sheep is pregnant. Is there a reason you can't just leave the ewes with him for a few weeks?