Moving with an LGD

newbiekat

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We are buying a place with their Great Pyrenees staying on the property (moving in about a month). Moving from our little 3 acres, to 37 acres just 10 miles down the road. :weee After about 4 years of looking we are finally getting a bigger place! AND a Pyrenees :love! I've wanted one for SOOOO long but couldn't justify it with our little 3 acres!

He is approx 7 mos old, they said he has been trained, not sure to what extent, but I do know that every time we are around him, he bows down (submissively, it seems like), but also at other times lays down wanting belly rubs... He is out with cattle currently, and they said he does well with chickens. We would have to introduce him to goats though, but that's a different question for another time.

The sellers contacted me today and said that he has started wandering off and she is afraid of something happening to him or someone taking him before we move in. She asked if we wanted to take him home with us (on our current 3 acres) until the move. My question is (I guess I have more than one)... Would that be wise? He would be coming to 3 acres for a month, just to go right back. He has been there since he was young, and every time we have been there he is on the back deck sleeping or somewhere close by... Also, would it be wise to train him here at our current place with the goats for just a month, or wait til we get to the new place to train him with the goats? Will we need to walk the fence line with him when we move...?

I have attached the layout of the property, with the yellow lines being gates into the pasture. The small plot on the bottom of the property (south side) is separated by the driveway and there is only the one entrance into it. If we needed to walk the fence line with him, what would be the best way to do that?

20180311_133036.jpg

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’m not the most schooled on training LGDs as I’m learning too but I do know that a wandering Pyr will always be a wandering Pyr if you don’t get him to stay home now!

He needs electric that will get through that dense fur! The electric needs to be such that he can’t dig, climb, or manage to get through with all of that fur.

I’ll tag a few that have more experience and have been successful multiple times with training theirs. @Southern by choice @babsbag @Latestarter (the last because he follows along and has picked up lots of pointers along the way and will also know who else to tag.)

Good luck! There’s nothing like Pyr hugs!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't have much time but a flag goes off for me...

If the seller says...
sellers contacted me today and said that he has started wandering off and she is afraid of something happening to him or someone taking him before we move in. She asked if we wanted to take him home with us (on our current 3 acres) until the move.

Ummmmm.... why would he not wonder off on your 3 acres or 37 acres. BIG FLAG!
If he is on the porch at 7 months how do you know he will even be a guardian for livestock... BIG FLAG

Lastly - you need MORE than 1 dog. PERIOD.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I don't know enough to really comment... Congrats on your moving up to a larger property. I'm assuming that's what the picture is of, since it's way too large to be your present place.

Why would someone give away their dog? Especially a very young one, a puppy really? I'm a bit confused as you illustrate the place is fenced (gates?), so how is the dog wandering if he's inside the fence with cattle? And if he's inside with the cattle, then how is he on the back porch for belly scratches? :hu I don't personally think you taking him now is a great idea for several reasons... I'd guess you aren't set up to have a pyr or you'd already have one. The pup is not trained to goats (yet) so you'd need separate facilities for the dog, to keep them separated at least initially while they both acclimate and you introduce each to the other. You are one month away from moving so are going to have a LOT going on without tackling training a new LGD at the same time. Couple that with the added stress to you, your goats and the LGD.

I know you want a pyr really bad, but there's a lot to consider here. :idunno Looking forward to following this journey you're beginning.

newbiekat

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ummmmm.... why would he not wonder off on your 3 acres or 37 acres. BIG FLAG!
If he is on the porch at 7 months how do you know he will even be a guardian for livestock... BIG FLAG

Lastly - you need MORE than 1 dog. PERIOD.

Can you expand a little? I am wondering if they are saying he is wandering off because he isn't on the back deck like he has been, so he is actually doing his job, and they aren't used to it?

If he's on the back deck, why does that mean he won't be a livestock dog? Because he isn't in with the livestock all the time?

Why would someone give away their dog? Especially a very young one, a puppy really?

They are moving to a place with no land. So they are selling out of everything.

I'm a bit confused as you illustrate the place is fenced (gates?), so how is the dog wandering if he's inside the fence with cattle? And if he's inside with the cattle, then how is he on the back porch for belly scratches? :hu

Yes the place is fenced, the two separate pastures. He is in with the cattle, but I guess can get out of the fence? I'm not sure.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Can you expand a little? I am wondering if they are saying he is wandering off because he isn't on the back deck like he has been, so he is actually doing his job, and they aren't used to it?

If he's on the back deck, why does that mean he won't be a livestock dog? Because he isn't in with the livestock all the time?
I think you should ask those questions (first part)
Second part- he should be full time with livestock. Not on the porch.

I see no problem with you taking him now, but you should have an area for him to transition.
7 months is a good age

I really do think you are setting yourself up for failure with trying to put one dog out there. I see it all the time. Lots of behavioral issues because they are pack animals. Just like you wouldn't do one goat, or one sheep, same goes for LGD's. There are some exceptions I have bred and raised a few

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
What kind of fence is there? Is it a strand barbed wire fence or goat wire or?? Is he actually leaving the property and is he digging out, jumping the fence or crawling through it? Will it even keep your goats in?

We moved and my husband bought me a GP puppy 3 weeks before we moved. We also had an older GP female. The female got the fenced back yard and we put the puppy on a chain (I hated doing that) until we could get a pen built for him. There was nothing here when we bought the place, so we had a LOT of things to do. It was so wonderful to get the place all fenced in. The puppy grew up and he stays on the porch a lot. He jumps in and out of the sheep pasture. Right now he is up front barking. He also comes to the window "asking" to come in. He takes a nap then is ready to go back out.

You definitely need another dog. Nice to have a reason for another puppy.....LOL

If you take him now, it will give you some time to work with him and also time to acclimate him to your goats. If he is jumping out, just run a hot wire around your fence, that should stop him.

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from the Hoosier state! :frow
I do not know anything abt LGD's other than what I have learned on here. But, I do think you should possibly come swap me out properties, and move to Indiana. I will move to KS and take over your "troubles". Here, you will have no need for the dog on the Church property, but you do have to assume role of Pastor. o_O
Do you have any independent Christian Churches closeby I can seek out employment?

Seriously though, nice looking property. These folk know their LGDs, especially Southern by Choose. Pay attention, glad you joined BYH!

newbiekat

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I think you should ask those questions (first part)

I will do that.

he should be full time with livestock. Not on the porch.

Good to know.

I see no problem with you taking him now, but you should have an area for him to transition.
7 months is a good age

What kind of area should I have for him to transition with? Dog pen? Cattle panels? In view of the livestock, away from the livestock?

I really do think you are setting yourself up for failure with trying to put one dog out there. I see it all the time. Lots of behavioral issues because they are pack animals. Just like you wouldn't do one goat, or one sheep, same goes for LGD's. There are some exceptions I have bred and raised a few

I hear ya loud and clear. I would love another one, I would just have to convince my husband that I need another one. He's barely tolerating the fact that we are getting this one with the property. I'm sure once he sees how beneficial they are, he won't mind it, but it's getting to that point first.

@Southern by choice Would it be beneficial to have him taken somewhere to get trained to goats? Or is that something we need to do? I've never trained dogs before (other than the basic commands- sit, stay, heel, etc), especially dogs that have been around livestock.

What kind of fence is there? Is it a strand barbed wire fence or goat wire or??

It is a barbed wire fence. We have around 1.5 acres right behind the house that we plan to keep the goats in until we can get more strands up (in the crook of the v of the property). It will hold the goats. That is our first priority when we move in. We have 10 or 12 strands of barbed wire at our current property that has kept our goats in for 4 years. So that is our plan.

Is he actually leaving the property and is he digging out, jumping the fence or crawling through it?

I am not sure. All she said was he has been wandering and is afraid he might disappear. I really wonder if they understand what his instincts are, and if they might be starting to kick in and she doesn't realize that it's normal for a GP to wander. I don't know how he's getting out of the fence, but if it is only 5 or 6 strands, I'm sure he can easily crawl through it.

I do think you should possibly come swap me out properties, and move to Indiana. I will move to KS and take over your "troubles". Here, you will have no need for the dog on the Church property, but you do have to assume role of Pastor. o_O

Ha! My husband is actually a pastor so that would work out well! :D =D Buuuuttttt.... see below... I've been wanting this place for a while now!

Seriously though, nice looking property.

Thank you very much. This is a property that we looked at 2 years ago but needed probably 50k worth of work put into it... Something we didn't have the time or money to do then. And since then I have not stopped thinking about this place. Every other place we looked at always compared back to this one. But since then, the couple we are buying from put the work in thinking they were gonna be there long term (so they did all of the work as if they were going to stay there long term, not just to flip it and sell it- because there is a difference. I know this because I know the couple), then plans changed, and now they are having to sell off everything to move to a different state! Stinks for them, but is great for us!

These folk know their LGDs, especially Southern by Choose. Pay attention, glad you joined BYH!

Yes! This is my go to place to learn about everything livestock related! I am a California girl, transplanted to KS who now has embraced farm life to its fullest. When we first got our goats, this was the place I went to to learn from! Now that a GP is on the table, this is where I come again to learn. I cherish all of the information everyone has here, and I know SBC has a WEALTH of knowledge. So I am looking forward to learning.

Latest posts