MrsDieselEngineer's Herd Journal

MrsDieselEngineer

The Goat Lady
Reaction score
Those are some beauties! Waterford NY is about 8 hours from here, so safely say 2 days worth of travel out and back. Sure is tempting... :hide I can't leave for two days though... we currently only have wood heat and someone has to be here to keep the fire going. I'll have to keep them in mind though! Maybe I'll contact them this summer :drool

autumnprairie

Owned by the Rotten Heifers
Reaction score
mapquest lisbon to ossipee is 6 hour and 35 mins 315 miles I would do it not sure if I would in bad weather but maybe :D

they are adorable

fortheloveofgoats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
MrsDieselEngineer said:
Fortheloveofgoats, you can come take all the snow you want! Haul it off my the dump truck load, I won't miss it ;)

Casanova got aggressive with me yesterday, doe in heat, he thought I was going to take her from him. He came at me and I grabbed my shepherds staff and wack... I hit myself in the face. Oops. I chased him off than dealt with the pain in my face. This is the first time Casanova has ever shown any aggression, he's always been a perfect gentleman. Guess hormones got to him.
I have a nice bruise from just under my right eye down to my jaw. To make matters worse I trimmed Dandy's feet and she caught the back of my thigh and ripped upwards with her horn. Ouch. I decided to quit working with the animals before I got hurt again.

Marlowmanor, I'd love to have a few spotted boers to go with my couple of black headed ones but I've never seen one even remotely close to us. I do like the red headed boers though, and also the red paints.
Ok, well I hope that I can take some of it away from you tomorrow. We are "supposed" to have some tomorrow. Ouch so sorry to hear about the bruise, and for the horn in the thigh. Are you doing ok with it today? I think that was smart of you to quit working with the animals when you did. Hope that you are ok today, take care.

MrsDieselEngineer

The Goat Lady
Reaction score
Things have been super busy around here lately but I try to pop in now and then to say HI!

We've been doing testing this past week getting the herd cleared. TB, Brucellosis, Johnes, and CAE. The first three were free through the state vets office so we went ahead and did them :) Did you know getting blood out of a Boer in the winter is about like trying to get blood out of a turnip? LOL, the poor goats got poked an awful lot while the Vet was attempting to draw blood. They ended up taking blood from their ears! Ouch... the Boers have so much hair, hide and fat this time of year they couldn't find the jugular except on a few of the Boer/dairy mixes. It was a bit traumatic for everyone, the vet was so sorry about not being able to get blood other than from the ears. Glad it's done now though!

Here are a few pictures of some of the girls :cool:

DSCN4203.jpg

DSCN4198.jpg

DSCN4200.jpg

DSCN4191.jpg

Forgot to add that we'll be adding some more registered Boers to the herd in a week or two! :celebrate We're also picking up two more commercial Boers shortly as well :woot

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
That top picture boer reminds me of one of my Nubs. So photogenic.

Latest posts