Ms. Research

Status
Not open for further replies.

redtailgal

Reaction score
We blow the leaves into the garden and flowerbeds for winter mulching except for the rose garden. The azaleas really like it, as does my fig bush.

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
redtailgal said:
We blow the leaves into the garden and flowerbeds for winter mulching except for the rose garden. The azaleas really like it, as does my fig bush.
Appreciate the suggestion. We actually did blow the leaves into the garden for the first time this year. DH got the tiller out in the spring and tilled the leaves under really good. The garden did very well this year. I'll have to do it this year with the planters I have around my three trees which I plant flowers each spring.

BTW, showed DH your "Chance". He asked what Tribe you were with? DH was a hippie in his younger years. He told me to say "A hippie your Mother warned you about". He traveled a lot in his younger years (the 70's). He hitchhiked across the United States twice. In his travels he wound up in North Dakota, found a large group of people and decided to see what it was all about. He walked into the Black Hill Alliance. DH stated "All tribes and sexes were there". Tribal Leaders and Chiefs. DH said he was accepted and asked to stay. He stated he talked to many People but others he couldn't due to not understanding the Native Language.

DH learned a lot about herbs. He has many of the Native American Beliefs and did pass them on to our Son and myself. DH even gave our Son the T-Shirt giving to him that day. He still had it. Our Son wore that shirt many times in the hospital, along with his Homer Simpson PJ bottoms. Both items put away because they were special to our Son. So much is our respect for the Native American and their ways, that the First Christmas after our Son's death, I heard a bang at the window. It had snowed so the birds we feed during the winter and squirrels usually fight over the seed. I went to shoo the so-called intruder squirrel, but found sitting in my Dogwood but a Falcon. Seeing that Magnificent Creature I knew my Son could now soar free of pain.

Shame some think because you look different or see things differently, that you should be warned about them. Glad I didn't listen. :)

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
77Herford said:
elevan said:
:D to school being in session...means I get 8 hours of peace :D

I NEVER rake leaves. Run the mower over them and mulch them up...they add nitrogen and other nutrients back into your grass. Having never raked leaves, I also never have to water the lawn as it seems to be more drought resistant. Just a thought...
Yes, leaves I dreaded them as a kid but now I mow them with my Deere.
Lucky you with a Deere. DH did have a tractor. When MIL was still alive we had adjoining properties. Our Son loved to ride with DH on the tractor as they cut the lawn and mulched up some of the remaining leaves. After MIL passed, we sold the property and consolidated. Didn't need the tractor again. Went to someone who needed it.

But a tractor is in the future plans. Don't know if it will be a Deere. That's DH's decision. :)

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
A little panic attack today. I knew Dobby was starting to molt, but found a bald spot. Reading my "Rabbits for Dummies" book, it states that if bald spots, call the vet immediately because there could be a hormonal problem or disease. Don't worry, didn't rush to the phone and call Dr. Joe. Did further research. And found out about "coat blow out". Major shedding of great clumps of hair. Healthy bald patches will become pigmented, start to grow hair normally within a few days. Since it was under his chin, I just noticed it today because more hair fell out around it. It is pigmented and hair is growing. So healthy bunny with "coat blow out". He just looks awful. I read a few suggestions regarding making molting faster. I already have on my list calf manna. Maybe get them some sunflower seeds.

The boys got their first taste of watermelon. Dobby came right over to DH and took to munching. So did Kreacher. But after that first piece, Dobby turned his head. Before giving them any more, I want to make sure their digestive system likes it. DH picked up canalope as well. As for vegetables, they are still getting their wheat grass, and got the last of the carrots in the garden. I've told DH that tomatoes are fruit, but he just won't give them up yet. Only a few tomatoes left in the garden, and DH loves his tomatoes. Next year we are planning more tomatoes.

Regarding the rain, please STOP. With all the rain and I believe the earthquake, there are mud slides in Philadelphia. The Sckyull was closed. DH had an inspection in PA which took him twice the amount of time to navigate it because of the mud slides. DH stated that he hasn't seen the Delaware River's water levels so high before.

It's truly a mess.

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
Ms. Research said:
77Herford said:
elevan said:
:D to school being in session...means I get 8 hours of peace :D

I NEVER rake leaves. Run the mower over them and mulch them up...they add nitrogen and other nutrients back into your grass. Having never raked leaves, I also never have to water the lawn as it seems to be more drought resistant. Just a thought...
Yes, leaves I dreaded them as a kid but now I mow them with my Deere.
Lucky you with a Deere. DH did have a tractor. When MIL was still alive we had adjoining properties. Our Son loved to ride with DH on the tractor as they cut the lawn and mulched up some of the remaining leaves. After MIL passed, we sold the property and consolidated. Didn't need the tractor again. Went to someone who needed it.

But a tractor is in the future plans. Don't know if it will be a Deere. That's DH's decision. :)
I hate to say it being a long time Deere buyer and fan but Case I H has a new line of tractors that have good power and fuel efficient. They had to come out with these models nearly two years after I bought my tractor, grrr.

I also like and respect many things Native American.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
When my mom was a kid, it was 'bad' to be an Indian. She died her hair red her entire life so she didn't 'look like a sqauw' as she put it.

When I was little, I had no idea we had native blood. She sent us 2 youngest girls to stay w/ our Cherokee grandma in VA.

Imagine our culture shock, coming from a small but bustling industrial Indiana town, to going to live on the side of a mountain where your nearest neighbor was 1 mi. away...and watching your Grandma kill a chicken on your first day there...then smoking a cigarette and blowing tobacco smoke in 4 directions to show thanks afterward.

I was hooked!

Our best veggie garden spot was a chicken / goat pen for the first 10 yrs of it's life. All that manure, when DH first tilled it up, had turned the soil into this wonderful black dirt. I have pepper plants out there 4' tall and our sweet corn hit 9'...until the raccoons got it. :(

We have 2 buns blowing coat right now, both males. I wonder if males are more prone than females? They look hideous.

We hadn't gotten more than 1/4" of rain in the months of July and Aug. I had to water our veggies all summer, it seemed...my flowers looked like crap this year b/c I won't 'waste' water on them.

Now that the garden is just about done...it's rained a gentle, slow, perfect rain for 3 days straight. :/ Better late than never, I suppose.

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
Roll farms said:
When my mom was a kid, it was 'bad' to be an Indian. She died her hair red her entire life so she didn't 'look like a sqauw' as she put it.

When I was little, I had no idea we had native blood. She sent us 2 youngest girls to stay w/ our Cherokee grandma in VA.

Imagine our culture shock, coming from a small but bustling industrial Indiana town, to going to live on the side of a mountain where your nearest neighbor was 1 mi. away...and watching your Grandma kill a chicken on your first day there...then smoking a cigarette and blowing tobacco smoke in 4 directions to show thanks afterward.

I was hooked!

Our best veggie garden spot was a chicken / goat pen for the first 10 yrs of it's life. All that manure, when DH first tilled it up, had turned the soil into this wonderful black dirt. I have pepper plants out there 4' tall and our sweet corn hit 9'...until the raccoons got it. :(

We have 2 buns blowing coat right now, both males. I wonder if males are more prone than females? They look hideous.

We hadn't gotten more than 1/4" of rain in the months of July and Aug. I had to water our veggies all summer, it seemed...my flowers looked like crap this year b/c I won't 'waste' water on them.

Now that the garden is just about done...it's rained a gentle, slow, perfect rain for 3 days straight. :/ Better late than never, I suppose.
What a shame for your Mom to have to dye her hair to hide her heritage because someone thought it was "bad". She was not alone. There were many and they were just not Native Americans either. Poles, Germans, Jews, all had to change their names, appearance, etc. to try to fit in. And it's pretty sad today that these individuals are now forced to group in areas to stay away from ridicule.

But off the politics, I believe your heritage IS the way to live.

I wish you Life and a safe trip! :)

that's*satyrical

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I started crying when I read about you losing your son. I am so very sorry for your loss. Sometimes people leave us entirely too early.

redtailgal

Reaction score
Ms. Research:

I am of the Cherokee Tribe, and from the Bear Clan. My grandmother comes from a long line of kanvwodi (healers). My great x4 grand father was a Chickamauga warrior.

Osiyou. Ustiyonv daquadoa. yv tali usti unaksotsanedv. Geyi Donvdagohvi.
(Hello, my name is unsiyonv (little bear). I have two small/little goats. I go until we meet again .)

Rolls, I do understand about your mother. 1973 was not a good year to be born a bastard halfbreed, my extended family was less than sympathetic, but they adjusted. and your grandma sounds pretty cool.

Sadly, there is still alot of prejudice out there. I had a person ask me if I was half black, and when I told her I was half cherokee she said "well, thats just as bad, isnt it? you poor thing". I felt sorry for her.

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
that's*satyrical said:
I started crying when I read about you losing your son. I am so very sorry for your loss. Sometimes people leave us entirely too early.
Thank you so much for your condolence and your kind words.

Status
Not open for further replies.