Ms. Research

Status
Not open for further replies.

fortheloveofgoats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Ms. Research said:
Rain, rain go away, go to Texas or Oklahoma because New Jersey has had way too much!

Went to sleep late with rain coming down, wake up early with rain coming down. 50 degrees outside, but supposedly dropping as the day goes on to the weekend where cold weather will eventually be here.

And this is January. Just doesn't make sense.

Bunnies are doing well. Have there times when very quiet like last night. All three were very calm and receptive, but not super active. I guess they do have moods.

Jake doing well. He's not thrilled with the rain. Getting older too, weather affects him just like my DH.

Been doing some research on lionheads and manes. Will be interesting to see and experience this unique animal.

Hoping all have a good day.

K

eta: EleVan now I understand the emu reference. lol Games people play. lol
I think you are getting our rain. Sorry to say, but I am happy that we don't have it. :lol:

Happy to hear that the bunnies are doing well. :lol: moods, I think everything has moods.

Also happy to hear about Jake. Jude is the same with rain, he will go wherever it is dry. I try telling him, you are a dog. Doesn't change anything though. Sorry to hear that the weather is starting to affect him. I give Jude glucosamine in the winter. It seems to be helping.

Can't wait to see pictures! I also can't wait to hear the stories too! I hope that you have a great day. Take care, B

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I was lawyas facinated with genetics. Keep us posted on what you learn. I think you will be getting some snow here soon.

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
jodief100 said:
I was lawyas facinated with genetics. Keep us posted on what you learn. I think you will be getting some snow here soon.
lol got a LOT to learn. But it will be a fun journey both me and my DH are looking forward to making.

Yes, snow in our future. I think they said by Saturday. Tomorrow it will start out warm and continue to drop in temp.

Love snow, but stinks, it's my Saturday to work. Oh well.

K

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
Well did more digging into genetics. I have to say the breeder that I could be getting my Blue Tort Buck has a very informative website. She put the genetic line of her bucks and does so I went and found out what the Buck and Doe were.

Sire:

aa bb C_ dd ee

Doe

aa B_ C (chi)c Dd ee

The lower case a is a Self gene. Self rabbits have the same color all over, top and bottom. Self colors are black, blue, chocolate or lilac. But this depends on the actions of the genes at the B, C, D and E locations.

The B gene determines the density of the Black pigment. the lower case b gene will dilute the Black to chocolate.

C: still looking into that. C gene does LOTS. I think the chi is a Himilayan gene. Limits coloration to points of the rabbit. That's why their ears, tail and feet are a darker color.

eta: More reading and research shows not Himilayan but sable.

D gene results in the full (dense) expression of the color. The "d" is a recessive gene resulting in dilution of color.

The E gene deals with the extension of color. The double ee is a non-extension gene that wipes out the black and sometimes (depending on the modifiers) leaves a little dark "smut" on the end. Smut? lol. That is what a Tort is? Smut? Nah. lol

Continuing my education in genetics. Heads spinning. lol. But really interesting.

K

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
My boys have been helping me learn genetics. Well, they just sit on my lap as I look at their coats. lol. Learning more about the A gene, I found out that the dominate A is the Agouti. Considering the Wild rabbit is a Chestnut Agouti, and basically all domesticated come from the Wild rabbit, it was interesting to learn about the self gene and the tan gene (at).

Since Agouti is a way the hair color bands on the hair shaft, (white, orange, brown, black) I had to check out my boys to see, and found no Agouti pattern of banding. All my boys have hair that gradually turns from white to the color you see. Example: Kreacher is black, but if you fluff back his fur, his skin is white, the hair connecting to the skin is white, and gradually goes from white to gray to black. This is an example of a Self color. When I looked at Dobby and Willard, their hair was the same way. So I believe they are all self colors. Except for Dobby. I believe he is of the tan (at) considering he is a Marten. In this catagory of at you will find the Tan, Otter and Marten.

I also found the way their order of dominance goes:

Agouti is the most dominate (remember wild rabbits)
At pattern then comes next.
Then Self.

So if you are breeding two rabbits and one of the them has the Agouti gene, this will dominate over the Tan and Self.

Regarding the B gene, well all my boys are from the Black Family. B gene is basically which family your rabbit is in. Black or Chocolate.

Here's some colors from the Black and Blue (diluted black) family.

Black
Blue
Black Tortoiseshell (Black Tort)
Blue Tortoiseshell (Blue Tort)
Chestnut Agouti
Opal (Blue Agouti)
Orange (Orange Agouti)
Fawn
Chinchilla
Squirrel (Blue Chinchilla)
Ermine (Frostpoint)
Blue Ermine (Blue Frostpoint)
Sable Point
Blue Sable Point
Siamese Sable (Black Sable)
Siamese Pearl (Blue Sable)

The ones I've bolded are the colors that I am looking for. At least I narrowed it down. Sitting with DH, going over color genes, looking at pics, I think we have gotten are plans to start and our feelers out. Now I just have to stick with my plans lol because...........

The Chocolate Color Family is interesting as well

Here's the list:

Chocolate
Lilac
Chocolate Tortoiseshell
Lilac Tortoiseshell
Chocolate Chestnut (Cinnamon)
Lynx (Lilac Agouti)
Chocolate Orange
Lilac Fawn
Chocolate Chinchilla
Lilac Chinchilla
Chocolate Ermine
Lilac Ermine
Chocolate Sable Point
Lilac Sable Point
Chocolate Sable
Lilac Sable

The ones I bolded, I would like to consider, after seeing how well my breeding plans go...

And I haven't even gotten into what I learned about MANES!

Amazing, so much to learn...

K

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
Have to laugh. Kreacher, my smallest bunny with the Biggest Attitude, showed it yesterday. lol. Kreacher does enjoy his time with me, sitting in my lap, but he wants it on his terms. Sitting there, nice as pie, Kreacher decides he wants to explore what's on the table next to my chair. I told him no. Don't you know the little bugger turns around and thumps my leg. I say "how dare you." With that, Kreacher hisses at me and thumps again. So took a page out of my DH's book, didn't thump his nose though, but put him on his back. I showed Mr. Attitude who's boss. After that, no problems. I have to say, if I had just gotten this bunny, it would have freaked me out hearing him hissing. Never in my life, would I have thought noise like that would come out of such a tiny, sweet looking animal. Truthfully after the hiss, I was ready just to put him back in his crate. Glad I did the flip though. Me showing dominance after the incident is much better than trying to declare dominance after the fact.

I've been taking Dobby out a lot also. It's been working well doing this. Dobby liked to avoid me as much as possible. Plus the grumbling was loud every time I took him out of his crate. But I have to say he is getting better. Yesterday, no grumbling. Didn't have to chase him around his crate. Actually enjoyed the time with him. He does like to dig at my clothes though. Has always done this. Not that he's trying to harm, it actually looks like he fluffs up everything to get a comfy spot. But definitely not good for the clothes. Working on stopping that habit.

Willard is a sweetie. He still grumbles when I pick him up, but I have to say I don't have to chase him around his crate to get him. He is kind of getting the idea. He will go to his litter box and wait for me to pick him up. Still grumbles but we kind of have an understanding. And the more I spend time with him, the more he's relaxing in my lap. Not all tense. He likes to look around the room more and more. And when he hears DH's voice, the ears go up, he stands up and searches the room for him. Truly attached to DH. I tell you, it's something with rescued animals. They just KNOW they are being rescued.

Still waiting on news about the Blue Tort. I've explained to all my boys and Jake that new bunnies will be coming some day. Not that they care. lol. But I have to say Jake does. Well, he knows the word bunnies. Every time you say it, he wags his tail and looks at the boys.

K

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
WOOO HOOOO. Looks like I'm going to Philadelphia either on February 3rd or 4th. A ARBA convention is being held at the Philadelphia Convention on those days. Need to stop in and take a look. DH is already on board with it and we are both looking forward to seeing LOTS of lionheads and their breeders. Can't wait!

Learning about the Mane. Very interesting info out there. Did you know that the Mane Gene is a genetic mutation that occurred during the 1990's in Europe. Other well known mutations are the Rex and Satin fur types.

Shame though that the double mane is not showable. It seems that, though the lionhead is not recognized, the standard that is being pushed is the Single Mane. They call the Double Mane names like "floofballs, powder puffs and dust mops". Gee how rude. Those pushing the standard of the single mane I guess don't like the wool over the body, face, ears and feet. I kind of like the skirt.

Double mane babies are really easy to spot. When born they are bald at the lower body sides, checks and behind the ears. This lasts for a week. Then longer wool starts to grow.

One thing noted with Double manes is that bunnies are suseptible to Wool Blockage. Need to be diligent with the babies with grooming so this does not happen. Actually, more grooming, means more handling, which means possible more People oriented bunnies. Which could be a plus-plus.

The more and more I dig, the more these Lionheads get interesting. Can't wait to go to the Convention.

K

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
jodief100 said:
Sounds like fun!!!!
It is. Big diversion from bad anniversary coming up. With this research on finding Lionheads, plans to go look at more, making plans to build cages, it's kind of helping both of us.

Basically trying to make a positive out of a negative we both CAN'T change.

Thanks Jodie. Appreciate the support.

K

Status
Not open for further replies.