MtViking- A little piece of paradise.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
he’s huge and young so he doesn’t know he is huge and could hurt them just trying to play haha. His name is odin but we all call him odie he’s a good dog just not real bright Hahahaha.

HUGE is right...they are! It's hard to find a collar for them. It's about the size I need for my goat buck. Most stores only carry "XL" which isn't, plus not strong enough material. That dog could be trained to pull a cart for you. :D I have minis smaller than Odie.

probably 4-6 to start with and see how it goes, then grow from there

There's the key words "start" & "grow from". :lol: I have about 40--50 layers and eat about 6 eggs a YEAR...I sell the eggs. Love the chickens, and absolutely LOVE to collect the eggs. :D =D I keep a mixed flock, many go broody and hatch for me. It does keep the chicken & dumplings coming as we all know -- roosters happen -- not much cuter than a hen and chicks running around! This year I have brought in some pullets from a NPIP certified breeder as new blood. Mostly I stay with the heavy bodied heritage ones. I am considering expanding the chickens as I am looking at a retirement for next year. It would be a good thing to increase farm income.:D:D:D Eggs have paid for their feed nicely, plus.

MtViking

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
HUGE is right...they are! It's hard to find a collar for them. It's about the size I need for my goat buck. Most stores only carry "XL" which isn't, plus not strong enough material. That dog could be trained to pull a cart for you. :D I have minis smaller than Odie.

There's the key words "start" & "grow from". :lol: I have about 40--50 layers and eat about 6 eggs a YEAR...I sell the eggs. Love the chickens, and absolutely LOVE to collect the eggs. :D =D I keep a mixed flock, many go broody and hatch for me. It does keep the chicken & dumplings coming as we all know -- roosters happen -- not much cuter than a hen and chicks running around! This year I have brought in some pullets from a NPIP certified breeder as new blood. Mostly I stay with the heavy bodied heritage ones. I am considering expanding the chickens as I am looking at a retirement for next year. It would be a good thing to increase farm income.:D:D:D Eggs have paid for their feed nicely, plus.
Yeah I’m sure it will expand quickly lol. We are both animal lovers even if we plan on eating them we still love em and take their sacrifice seriously, so I would be in denial to think the flock will stay small for very long lol

MtViking

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
BF03FDBC-EA63-4761-A4AE-3B46AC353F81.jpeg
Pretty hard to say no to that face.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
What a smoochy face! I want to hug him!

I always had good luck buying chicks from the local feed store in the spring. That will get you started......then chicken math kicks in. You need to know the rules.....

1. The 50 meat chicks don't count. They will be slaughtered at 8 weeks or so, so don't add them to the total number.
2. The 18 layer breed baby chicks don't count. They aren't eating much, so don't add them either.
3. The 27 eggs in the incubator don't count, don't count your chickens before they hatch!
4. That pen of 22 roosters don't count. They are going to that fabulous chicken resort, FREEZER CAMP.

So now that you know the rules, only the 24 actively egg laying hens and their 1 rooster count as having chickens. The other 117 don't count! Do you know what that means??? Because you only have 25 chickens, you can get MORE CHICKENS!!! :lol:

MtViking

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
What a smoochy face! I want to hug him!

I always had good luck buying chicks from the local feed store in the spring. That will get you started......then chicken math kicks in. You need to know the rules.....

1. The 50 meat chicks don't count. They will be slaughtered at 8 weeks or so, so don't add them to the total number.
2. The 18 layer breed baby chicks don't count. They aren't eating much, so don't add them either.
3. The 27 eggs in the incubator don't count, don't count your chickens before they hatch!
4. That pen of 22 roosters don't count. They are going to that fabulous chicken resort, FREEZER CAMP.

So now that you know the rules, only the 24 actively egg laying hens and their 1 rooster count as having chickens. The other 117 don't count! Do you know what that means??? Because you only have 25 chickens, you can get MORE CHICKENS!!! :lol:
Hahahahaha oh man my wife’s going to love that math!