MtViking- A little piece of paradise.

MtViking

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I actually believe that being mostly rye will be to your benefit. Especially at this later date. Rye will come up quickly with a little moisture and will do better in cooler/colder temps, so hopefully you will get some growth before winter sets in there. I past a couple of corn fields that had been chopped. They already have a green "grass" crop coming up. It is one of three things....rye or wheat or barley. And we have not had any precip so it is coming up under adverse conditions. It is probably rye. I think that yours will come up and do fine. A couple inches growth is all you need to "save the soil" before the winter locks down on you. Anymore than that is a bonus in the available green matter to be tilled under....(or some cut for the animals in the spring).
Keep a "weather journal" even if it is just a few lines on a calendar, and you will be able to go back next year and see what you did, what the soil/planting conditions were, and the results. You will be surprised how often I will go back through my old calendars, to just see how the years' compare.
It was the most recommended by locals. All rye would have been better for my needs but a lot of the ranchers here plant the mix around this time a year for a cover crop and livestock winter grazing as a bonus. Then the other grasses come up in the spring for more grazing before they till it in. I’m gonna leave a strip to mature this spring for my rabbits and till the rest in for the veggie garden.

MtViking

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Not a lot to update, but I will. The rabbits still aren’t breeding but I keep trying. The one I thought might have been pregnant when I got her built a nest but hasn’t pulled fur. If she hasn’t kindled buy next week then she isn’t pregnant because that’s when I got her and they’ve been separated since arriving here. The cattins (half cat half kitten) are doing great and spend the days out of their kennel. They’re still not real big yet so I put them in at night. They’re catching rodents like crazy which it fantastic!! They love it here and will be a much appreciated member of the team. They get a can of tuna twice a week as a treat for all their hard work. On top of their twice daily dry food.

MtViking

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Annual Fall camp out for scouts beautiful day for it. We got the fishing station it was great
EB46CCB7-3B96-4881-9095-90A26EB2F3F6.jpeg

Latest posts