MtViking- A little piece of paradise.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I once raised Satins, about a hundred years ago, LOL. I was first in the state and second in the nation for showing. I kept about 300-400 at a time, counting litters. I would breed 20 does at a time, so I would have plenty of foster moms if needed. I didn't mix my colors, so most of the time they bred true. Occasionally I would get a black sport from the chinchillas. I raised Siamese, red, white, black and chinchilla Satins. I got really good at slaughtering the culls for meat, keeping only the best for show or sales. I could whip up almost any dish using rabbit meat. Bunny burgers anyone?

Satins are pretty rabbits. When you get the fur right, healthy, with that guard hair line over the haunches, you can sweep the fur classes and take home champions. I fed a mixture of barley, oats, milo and pellets.

MtViking

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Sounds like a Union contract issue to me...…. :lol: United Thumpers.
I’m all for collective bargaining they just need to go to the table. Hahaha hopefully they’ll decide what to do soon. I’m not one to cross a picket line....but you know what happens to a rabbit that doesn’t want to work in a breeding program? Freezer camp

MtViking

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I once raised Satins, about a hundred years ago, LOL. I was first in the state and second in the nation for showing. I kept about 300-400 at a time, counting litters. I would breed 20 does at a time, so I would have plenty of foster moms if needed. I didn't mix my colors, so most of the time they bred true. Occasionally I would get a black sport from the chinchillas. I raised Siamese, red, white, black and chinchilla Satins. I got really good at slaughtering the culls for meat, keeping only the best for show or sales. I could whip up almost any dish using rabbit meat. Bunny burgers anyone?

Satins are pretty rabbits. When you get the fur right, healthy, with that guard hair line over the haunches, you can sweep the fur classes and take home champions. I fed a mixture of barley, oats, milo and pellets.
I actually didn’t plan to raise satins, I wanted Rex or a heritage breed like the silver fox. But satins are what I found in the area. I liked the fact that they were pedigreed so I would be starting out with decent bloodlines too. I was actually zero percent interested in anything but meat and trying my hand at preserving some hides. Now I’m thinking more on breeding for shows and meat. Who knows what I’ll end up doing. I just need them to breed for now lol I do really like the satins. The Rex seemed a bit meatier but they may have just been older. Regardless it’s been a fun journey and great experience so far. I have three more hutches ready for more rabbits now it’s a waiting game.

MtViking

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So the gentleman I met at the rabbit show sold me a couple of different Rex rabbits to try and breed with my does. He said if they don’t work for me I can switch them out until we find some to work. He’s super cool guy and has been breeding rabbits for 50 years!! What a great resource I can’t believe my luck to be able to meet someone like that. He sold them to me for super cheap too $10 for pedigree Rex he normally get $50-75 for them depending on the show qualities. Anyways I’m super excited I hope this works. I have to give them a few days to get settled into their new homes then I can give them a go. If I get one to work out for me I’ll probably give him the other one back since I don’t really need 3 bucks right now lol. Either way it’s sparked more hope into me to get my Rabbitry off the ground and hopefully more meat in the freezer this winter.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
they just need to go to the table

:lol: They may be worried "which" table -- negotiating or plate.

Wow, an experienced mentor that close will be a true asset. And he seems to be a TRUE mentor, more interested in helping & developing your success than selling a bunny! Nice.