MtViking- A little piece of paradise.

MtViking

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Do you have one of those pallet buster tools? I'd never heard of them until I saw mention on another forum. Looked them up and they seem to make the job of taking apart pallets without damaging the wood very easy AND fast.
No I haven’t heard of such a thing! I’ll have to look it up. I have a cats paw and a hammer. I also have a flat bar that works pretty good to. Then I have nips to help pull nails. Most of the planks are pretty well trash anyways I keep them for kindling, I only get pallets marked “HT” which means they’re heat treated not chemically treated so it burns fine and when the bunnies chew on it I know it’s just wood. I keep the 2x4s or what ever the bigger supports are. Sometimes I get lucky and they’re oak or 4x4s if the thinner planks are in good shape I usually don’t have much trouble getting them off whole. But the process does take some time if your picky.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just Google "pallet buster". Several will show up but they all look to work about the same. Since they are putting pressure under the entire board on both sides of the nails they seem to be able to pull the board up pretty fast and without breaking the slats. I've taken a couple slats off with a 3' pry bar, not easy and the wood often broke. If one has a lot of pallets to take apart I think the busters are worth the money, even the expensive ones are well under $100. Definitely a back saver.

MtViking

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Just Google "pallet buster". Several will show up but they all look to work about the same. Since they are putting pressure under the entire board on both sides of the nails they seem to be able to pull the board up pretty fast and without breaking the slats. I've taken a couple slats off with a 3' pry bar, not easy and the wood often broke. If one has a lot of pallets to take apart I think the busters are worth the money, even the expensive ones are well under $100. Definitely a back saver.
I found one made here in Montana for $20 I have to supply a handle but looks like it will work good. For $20 it’s worth a try. Made out of heavy duty steel so if it doesn’t work out I have good steel to use for something lol.

MtViking

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Sorry for not being on here near enough. Warm weather and longer daylight equals working a lot more around the homestead. Garden is doing good. Been harvesting greens for fresh salads regularly, turnips are about ready to go and plant more. Corn isn’t doing well but never does is our area and was more for the fun in trying it. The kittens are getting big and adventuring outside more. We have two new litters of rabbits. One litter of 8 that are from my Rex/satin doe and my Satin buck. And 7 from my two pedigree satins. I kept a beautiful blue otter doe from the last harvest as a breeder so I’ll have three breeder does and one breeder buck. I have two extra bucks both rex that I had given to me to get things started but ones too old to breed anymore and I’m switching to all satin, so I’m feeding two bucks that aren’t working for me. I don’t know what to do with them I don’t want to butcher because they’re older so I’m thinking of giving them away. They’re both sweet and would be good pets. Anyways that’s the update. Oh and I got a new job. I’m a union electrician now but got an offer to work for the union full time so I’m going to give it a shot. Hopefully it works out. Hope all is well with the rest of you. Enjoy the summer I’ll try and update more often.

MtViking

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well bad news on the homestead. Someone or something stole four of the kittens last night from inside our garage. We have a small car door so if it was an animal it would’ve had to have been pretty little. There was one kitten left this morning. No sign of the other ones. They were too small to use the cat door. I have no clue what happens but I went in town and bought a full camera system for the property so if this happens again we will at least know what happened and hopefully prevent it.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
So glad that the kittens were not dinner.... they are favorites of coyotes.... and foxes have been known to get small ones. There were a couple litters of kittens here and they are all gone but one kitten I see. The coyotes here are rough and I cannot keep them in as the cats are all feral and I can't catch them. Will be trapping them to move them to the new place although I don't expect many to stay.... may move them to my son's barn so they at least have a chance to work on the mice and such. Am going to try to get them fixed as I catch them though. Even though I don't want the kittens, I hate for them to get killed by the coyotes.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
So glad that the kittens were not dinner.... they are favorites of coyotes.... and foxes have been known to get small ones. There were a couple litters of kittens here and they are all gone but one kitten I see. The coyotes here are rough and I cannot keep them in as the cats are all feral and I can't catch them. Will be trapping them to move them to the new place although I don't expect many to stay.... may move them to my son's barn so they at least have a chance to work on the mice and such. Am going to try to get them fixed as I catch them though. Even though I don't want the kittens, I hate for them to get killed by the coyotes.
An old English woman once told me that when you move a cat, put butter on their paws. They hate it and will immediately go through their whole grooming routine. This relaxes them and they are "home". I tried it on a cat once when my daughter was small. We buttered up the cat, he was NOT happy and took off. It got late, no cat. A little girl was starting to get weepy when a MEOW was heard at the door. A very happy little girl let in a very neatly groomed cat. It worked.