MuldrowHomeFarm-Our journey into Farming (little did we know this is where we were going....)

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Flood land would make me very nervous. I am guessing that all of it doesn't go under water. Harvey was pretty bad, but hurricane Rita and Ike were pretty hard on that area. Sounds like you have a bad neighbor who wants it all for himself. Keeping electricity away is a rotten thing to do.

MuldrowHomeFarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yes, DH named those boys. He originally named Landry Danny White but then changed it to Landry. Both boys are super cute!

MuldrowHomeFarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Flood land would make me very nervous. I am guessing that all of it doesn't go under water. Harvey was pretty bad, but hurricane Rita and Ike were pretty hard on that area. Sounds like you have a bad neighbor who wants it all for himself. Keeping electricity away is a rotten thing to do.
We were here for all of those. We have run from many Hurricanes but haven't lost homes or livestock, except Imelda. We lost 15 baby chicks because the water rose so fast. They were out of the water but then it crested the pen and they were too little. We couldn't get down the road to move them so we just had to wait and see. We had 25 in the pen and we saved 10. Blow dryer and cuddles. It was sad and we made a lot of changes so it never happens again. That is the hard part of building in a new area. Never know what the pitfalls will be. We have built UP so all our animals will be high and dry. We have put in food storage and auto dispensers so if we cannot get here for a day or 2, they are fed. We have boats so really, we can always get in now but had to learn those hard lessons. We lost an Alpaca due to the rain but not from the rain. She had gone down and we got her back up after 6 hrs at the vet and $1000 but it began to rain and rained hard for 3 days and it was impossible to walk her in it. If we had our barn built, we could have walked her under cover but pneumonia set in and we lost her. I was so heartbroken over it. That morning, in the pouring rain, under a loafing shed, one of our mini donkeys gave birth to our precious boy, Rum River. We named him in honor of our beloved Maia of Rum River. Water is a very unforgiving environment but we don't want to live anywhere else. Also, our property is NOT in the flood plane. Our problrm is that we have 2 bayous that the State knows need to be dredged and they won't. 10 years ago both Bayous were over 40 feet deep. Now they are around 17 feet deep. It is an ongoing battle with some of the neighborhoods. We plan to maje our pond deep enough, our property high enough and our house up enough that flooding won't be an issue for us or the animals.
20200513_191445.jpg
20200515_142124.jpg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you can convince the state to dredge the bayous, I bet you could sure use that dirt! Are they wet weather bayous or do they have running water all the time? We had property in Livingston that had a dry wash running through it, when we got huge rains, it went out of banks and it turned into a river. I finally ran across a deal on one of those old steel underground gas tanks with the ends cut out, it was 7' tall and 22' long. We bought it and had it hauled to our land. Later on a neighbor across the road got a bulldozer and he put it in for us. It was so exciting to me to be able to access our property in torrential downpours and floods.

MuldrowHomeFarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
If you can convince the state to dredge the bayous, I bet you could sure use that dirt! Are they wet weather bayous or do they have running water all the time? We had property in Livingston that had a dry wash running through it, when we got huge rains, it went out of banks and it turned into a river. I finally ran across a deal on one of those old steel underground gas tanks with the ends cut out, it was 7' tall and 22' long. We bought it and had it hauled to our land. Later on a neighbor across the road got a bulldozer and he put it in for us. It was so exciting to me to be able to access our property in torrential downpours and floods.
Apparently, this battle has been going on for years. The bayous are huge so I am sure they have moving water all the time. The other part of this equation is when the Dams open after the storm. Over the last 4 years, it has been a real nightmare, with the flooding being due to thw dams release and not the actual storm. Deweyville and Mauriceville are 2 such cities that have suffered. We aren't in either City but still we are close enough.

MuldrowHomeFarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Today was interesting. Bought carrots and apples for donkeys. This is their monthly treat. One Alpaca, Midnight, loved the carrots but turned her nose up at the apples until Pearl tasted the apples and loved them. Pearl would have nothing to do with the carrots though. None of the other 4 Alpacas would touch either apples or carrots. Go figure.