MuldrowHomeFarm-Our journey into Farming (little did we know this is where we were going....)

MuldrowHomeFarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Our plan is to fill another IBC tote on the ground and then pump the water up to the one on the platform. I will video it and post it here! We are very excited about this project. It has been in the design stages for almost a year and watching it come to fruition has been so wonderful!
Honestly, everything seems to move so slowly on the farm but DH taught me a long time ago that everything is a function of time or money. And sometimes both! We usually have more time than money!

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am a little confused. Unless you have a windmill powered pump to get the water up into the tower, where is the value & time saving in filling one tote, carrying it to the tower then pumping it up to the tower tank so you can use gravity to use the water? Would you not be "cutting out the middleman" by just pumping from tote #1?

MuldrowHomeFarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We currently have no water on the property. We plan to dig a well but it is about $8k. We have to bring water via a tank or an IBC tote every 3 days. So cutting out the middleman would be the digging a well.......but then again, there is no electricity out there either but the solar systems are working well so far. They are small but we plan to expand them. Long term the water tower will be set up as a rain catch.

MuldrowHomeFarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I can't recall if I shared that Rooster Cogburn has learned how to crow!
20201007_122913.jpg

He is a big, beautiful Production Red and he just turned 6 months old. He has 11 fat and sassy hens of different varieties that he claims as his harem. He really wants all the littles released from the run but maybe another week....

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Agree, it does look like an oil thing 😁. It works, so it's all good!

I keep a few containers at the drip line of roofs in a couple areas that are just a pain to pull a hose. Since only a few chickens to supply from them it works great....young birds or couple extra roos, etc. Fortunately I do have water available but, this saves some steps!

Hey, I find I always have more time than $$. Especially of late. I'm scavenging now for unused wood here and free pallets from other places for my winter hay stacking and some repairs. It's what we do! Eventually it gets done.

MuldrowHomeFarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Last winter, our goats had a tarp and pallet shed. This year it will be a bit of an upgrade. That is our next project. Our Alpaca pen will be lengthened 2 feet, from 10 to 12 qnd we will build the next section for the goats on one side and the donkeys on the other! Pics to follow so you can see what I mean!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Shelter that does not leak is shelter from the elements and most animals will be grateful. There are always a few.... and then there are the bullies that will not share... but stand guard at the doorway and won't let others in even though there is plenty of room.... That gets my dander up. Horses are famous for that.....