MuldrowHomeFarm-Our journey into Farming (little did we know this is where we were going....)

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
DO NOT FEEL SORRY FOR THE RACCOON. If they would only kill one and eat it, you could have some sympathy. They will wantonly kill and for that they do not deserve any sympathy.

I have no feelings of remorse for killing a raccoon. Even the possums will kill one and eat it or just eat the food and eggs. I had coons get into the meat birds; over the top of a 6 ft dog kennel, after 2 years of never being bothered by anything. In 2 nights they killed over 25 birds and left them lay.... the third night they got under the cover and killed more. I then used a heavy panel with small openings, and tied it down. Set the live trap.... got 5 coons and 2 possums and 1 young red fox in 9 days...... 3 coons, 1 possum, 2 coons, 1 possum, then the one red fox. The fox I took and turned loose about 10 miles away where they have foxhounds and they ride to the hounds in an area of over 1,000 acres. They don't kill them, and it was my concession to allow the fox to have a life since it was a young fox and i think it was a matter of it just coming and being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
The coons and possums were dispatched ..... and I have since gotten 2 more possums. The joke is that all the predators had moved into our area..... for Jan's chicken buffet......
So not one bit of sympathy.....

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
No sympathy here either! This skunk here isn't after the chickens, just their feed. Eggs are collected or they'd go for them. Still want them removed.

Molting looks??? I have one hen that looks like she's been plucked ... Like worst one I have ever had this bare. Poor girl.

Last edited:

MuldrowHomeFarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I am beyond thrilled with our shed!
20201030_182503.jpg

We still have to put the metal on the roof so we went with a pallet wall in front.....next year we will redo it with wood. However, I really do like the way it looks!
20201030_182458.jpg

And, of course, Cap is in the House!!
20201030_174113.jpg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
A lady came over yesterday to buy chicken, we were visiting and she told me about her pumpkin patch. They have a U-Pick blueberry farm, for the last 38 years. So they have established customers and she uses Facebook to announce what they have. She and her father planted 3/4 of an acre in 3 different pumpkins and sold over 500! From $2-&5 each, they sold out. She built a square bale display, put out a locking mailbox and Honor stand, for when they weren’t able to sit out there all day. Her parents live there and her father was around most of the time, but couldn’t stay right there all the time.

They considered doing a U-Pick but quickly rejected that idea. The stand she built served its purpose. I think you would do well with pumpkins. Even sitting on the side of a busy highway with a flatbed trailer or just in the back of the truck with a plywood sign, people would stop.

For that matter, try the side of the road sales with watermelons. July 4th is a big weekend for watermelons. Have jars of your honey too!

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
DO NOT FEEL SORRY FOR THE RACCOON. If they would only kill one and eat it, you could have some sympathy. They will wantonly kill and for that they do not deserve any sympathy.
Agree 1000%. And you don't know they are there until they kill one or more of your animals. I once caught a coon when I had the trap out for woodchucks. Boy was I surprised.

next year we will redo it with wood. However, I really do like the way it looks!
Pallets ARE wood ;)
Given where you live it seems like having some gaps for air movement is a good thing.