Mule ate chicken feed

LlamaGirl4

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
This morning one of our mules got into the chickens feed and ate about 1/4 of it!

Should I be worried??

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's a lot. around 12 lbs.
Grain or pellets?
Either way, you will want to watch for colic.. right now, keep him walking and don't let him drink big quantities of water all at once. and in the coming days, watch carefully for hoof problems.
And some chicken feed can contain a substance toxic to horses in relatively small amounts...monensin.
Honestly, you need to get the label off the chicken feed so you know what is in it and get on the phone with a vet asap. This can be serious and it can happen quickly.

LlamaGirl4

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
That's a lot. around 12 lbs.
Grain or pellets?
Either way, you will want to watch for colic.. right now, keep him walking and don't let him drink big quantities of water all at once. and in the coming days, watch carefully for hoof problems.
And some chicken feed can contain a substance toxic to horses in relatively small amounts...monensin.
Honestly, you need to get the label off the chicken feed so you know what is in it and get on the phone with a vet asap. This can be serious and it can happen quickly.
It’s grain. Tonight or tomorrow early I’ll contact my vet

LlamaGirl4

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Ok so the vet said that I should keep him locked up in the barn so he doesn’t he too much grass and limit the amount of water he takes. If she has trouble walking or anything like that then im supposed to call the vet immediately.

The vet said to watch her very carefully the next 4 days.

Thanks all for help!

Latest posts