Mule or standard donkey

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am now finally allowed a donkey or mule early next year. So now I am trying to decide what is best for me. I have talked to several people about mules and some say they are great easy to train, willing to please, easy to handle etc but than others say they are the worst animals to have and are very stubborn, then I hear same thing about donkeys so I am not sure what I want now. I have decided that what ever I get is going to be a gelding and already trained.
I am a beginner but am up for training and learning. I will be trail riding, packing, riding for fun, and maybe some jumping. Will have to be able to handle the cold well, handle kids well, and not a ton of space (I mean like not more then a half acre) Since it is Alaska we will be going riding on back roads and trail riding quite a bit. Will be fed hay most of the year fall-spring, will be stalled thru winter and have access to outside, does okay without a other donkey/mule companion. I am sure I will have more questions later.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you go with a donkey, it needs to be a Mammoth Donkey. Anything smaller is not big enough for an adult.

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Anything smaller is not big enough for an adult.
A standard gets up to 600-650 pounds. I am around 100 and all my siblings are smaller than me so a standard is perfect size for us.

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
We are going with the bigger sized standard or I guess a small mammoth. Thanks for the website.

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
You know mules can't breed, right?

Guess it wouldn't matter if you were just wanting a companion, it just has always bothered me...

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
You know mules can't breed, right?

Guess it wouldn't matter if you were just wanting a companion, it just has always bothered me...

Why is this a problem? Most male equines are gelded; they can't breed. either. And though an awful lot of people seem determined to see any female as a potential walking uterus, there are a whole lot of mares that really have nothing of value to add to the gene pool, so breeding them will at best create more animals to take that long truck ride to a Mexican slaughterhouse.

Incidentally, some female mules can breed. There have been a few, very interesting, examples. It used to be thought that female mule fertility was a freak thing, but some think it is more common than folks realize, it's just that nobody even tries with most of 'em.:idunno

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Why is this a problem? Most male equines are gelded; they can't breed. either. And though an awful lot of people seem determined to see any female as a potential walking uterus, there are a whole lot of mares that really have nothing of value to add to the gene pool, so breeding them will at best create more animals to take that long truck ride to a Mexican slaughterhouse.

Incidentally, some female mules can breed. There have been a few, very interesting, examples. It used to be thought that female mule fertility was a freak thing, but some think it is more common than folks realize, it's just that nobody even tries with most of 'em.:idunno
No, it wouldn't matter, I've just thought it was kind of strange. I'm not saying you should breed, I'm just saying I think its kinda weird you can't... Unless if you're the exception...

Latest posts