Alibo

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So yesterday one of my stunted little does that bred herself, kidded. I was expecting it next week but in no way prepared this week!

All three human children and the DH had a 24 hour stomache bug. so needless to say my birthing stall was not as clean as it should have been, did not have any fresh straw laid, and my own house was in the just the worst state!

Pencil hard ligaments and no impending signs 24 hrs previous. BUT.....Luckily I caught her just before she started to push and was able to get a corner cleaned and straw laid. I do always have my birth kit fully prepared and thank goodness I did!

After about 5 pushes I see a hoof, and it's upside down. OK, more weak pushes and no progress, something felt wrong so I went in

. Baby was breach, and one foot was back, and he was Huge! Managed to get him pushed back in and foot forward but as I am pulling the umbilical cord breaks. Now I am really freaking, pulling as hard as I can with the pushes but he is not budging. I thought for sure he would be dead by the time I pulled him out.

He finally made it out after looking like she was going to prolapse and he is not breathing. I immediately swing and swing and suction and swing again and we got a deep breath!

He is alive a doing great and mamma is doing good too but keeps calling for me like I am her missing kid. He was a big 8 lbs and stocky like his daddy.

Moral of the story for me is no matter how prepared I think I am, be more prepared!

Her larger sister is due soon too and I sure hope she has an easier labor but regardless I will be better prepared.:fl
20170320_125649.jpg
20170320_121923.jpg

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Aww! Congrats! My daughter isn't quite trustworthy with names yet. She wants to name the buckling we are getting "Cliffordy Cliffordy Goatie Goat". Fortunately for me, by the time she can read his registration paperwork she'll understand why it says something else.:lol:

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Nice goat baby save! A real cutie too. :D

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Congrats! Good thing you were there and were able to do what needed to be done to help!

Latest posts