Mustangroosters Journal--A little on the crazy side

mustangrooster

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So, I'm finally deciding to start over with the journal. Things happened, life happened, BYH got really busy because of all the BYC invaders (which included me.......), I asked for my original journal to get locked, things are starting to calm down, I can restart the journal now. (Told you guys I'd stay when BYC is back up)

So basically my life is my animals. Our farm animals consist of a turkey, a cat, dogs, too many chickens to count, missing budgies, a cockatiel, a wallaby/joeys, ducks, Quails, 4 horses, a roaming Emu and Buffalo, roaming cattle, and so on.

The to get list this year is...........a trio of pigs, goats (our previous one died) sheep (the ones that look like goats....) and rabbits. I'm SUPER excited about the goats, we have the room and all, just setting up the goat pen is a trouble. I don't know what kind of fencing a goat requires, how much area they need, as for the rabbits, that's pretty easy.

I'm debating as to whether I should get the goats or the rabbits first........I know that I can't wait to breed either, so that's hard.

I know for sure that it's going to start with one goat, two goats, three goats...............50 goats.

I guess poultry keeping really is the gateway to the rest of the animals eh?

I've been 'stalking' lots of kidding threads, and rabbit threads, it driving me up the wall! In a good way, because it's making me want goats and rabbits even more and more....

Tis' Australia where I live, the climate is hot and sticky, lately, the climate has been cool and cold and colder, nice change!

I'm really hoping to add call ducks, runner ducks, and geese to the flock :love Just have to expand the coop, and then either buy adult pairs or buy some eggs!

So basically a live a little on the crazy side.

Also VERY excited for the once a year show coming up in our area, it's a HUGE 3-day event! Have been training Heidi in the agility courses, and jumping lately, so hopefully, she can come along with me at the show. I also plan to come home with more birds, maybe some other animals that are up for sale........:hide

I have been eyeing a couple of my latest bred birds that I'm hoping to enter in the show. This is their father:

DSC01310.JPG So they are pretty gorgeous, who knows, maybe they might win something!

Whenever I give the chicks yogurt (the chicks I'm hoping to enter in the show), they crust over in it because they go nuts, they end up stinking, had to clean them all a couple of days ago....:sick

So, that's all for now. Hopefully, I can keep this journal running.

:frow

Attachments

• DSC04756.JPG
    DSC04756.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 125
  • DSC04846.JPG
    DSC04846.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:

mustangrooster

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Also a question to all your dog owners with lots of dogs. How do you keep them all?? Do you crate some for some time during the day, do you tie them up sometimes, or do they each have their own pens/area? Or do they all just roam around? Tie, one of my dogs, can't do that, he runs away if nothing is secure.

MikeLM

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I was going to ask you what animals you kept, now I don't have to!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Welcome once again and glad to follow along with your journey! Sorry about the horse/back injury. I haven't ridden in years and never owned a horse. I have enough other "money pits" to throw into...

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Since ya desire to have goats, the size of the pen would have to be determined as to how many and if they are going to be drylotted or have a piece of land to browse and graze on. As far as the wire goes the woven goat/sheep wire would do fine for them, but if there are predators, then that would have to be considered also.
Glad ya stayed around and make yourself at home here...:)

mustangrooster

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I was going to ask you what animals you kept, now I don't have to!

:frow You’re sticking around, too? Haha, yeah. They really are a full-time job.

Welcome once again and glad to follow along with your journey! Sorry about the horse/back injury. I haven't ridden in years and never owned a horse. I have enough other "money pits" to throw into...

Thanks, :) Ah, yeah, it was pretty painful. Do ya want a ride? You’re more than welcome to ride our thoroughbred ……She'll take you for a ride :p “Money pits” Ha! Love that, it’s pretty accurate…..

Since ya desire to have goats, the size of the pen would have to be determined as to how many and if they are going to be drylotted or have a piece of land to browse and graze on. As far as the wire goes the woven goat/sheep wire would do fine for them, but if there are predators, then that would have to be considered also.
Glad ya stayed around and make yourself at home here...:)

I think I'm going to start out with 4 (3 does and 1 buck) and I think they might have a piece of land to them selfs, with shelter and everything too. Oohhh.........well the worst predators we have for the goats would be the dingos. I was thinking barbed wire? All our horses are fenced with barbed wire, and everyone around here uses barbed wire for horses.......but for goats is a different story........I've heard it works for some people, and for others, it doesn't. We have plenty of barbed wire to use, but I just don't know if that would be the safest option for the goats :idunno

Thanks, I'm glad I stuck around....:)

TheKindaFarmGal

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Also a question to all your dog owners with lots of dogs. How do you keep them all?? Do you crate some for some time during the day, do you tie them up sometimes, or do they each have their own pens/area? Or do they all just roam around? Tie, one of my dogs, can't do that, he runs away if nothing is secure.

One of my dogs has to be tied most of the time because he is very aggressive towards people outside of the family and a lot of our other animals. The other three are pretty much free do to as they please - which usually means staying as close to me as they can. ;)

Maybe if you let Tie roam more he'd get used to it and stay? One of my dogs was like that when we moved, though she'd eventually come back after awhile exploring. Now it's all old and she just sticks around here.

Your animals are beautiful btw! :love

MikeLM

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
:frow You’re sticking around, too? Haha, yeah. They really are a full-time job.

Thanks, :) Ah, yeah, it was pretty painful. Do ya want a ride? You’re more than welcome to ride our thoroughbred ……She'll take you for a ride :p “Money pits” Ha! Love that, it’s pretty accurate…..

I think I'm going to start out with 4 (3 does and 1 buck) and I think they might have a piece of land to them selfs, with shelter and everything too. Oohhh.........well the worst predators we have for the goats would be the dingos. I was thinking barbed wire? All our horses are fenced with barbed wire, and everyone around here uses barbed wire for horses.......but for goats is a different story........I've heard it works for some people, and for others, it doesn't. We have plenty of barbed wire to use, but I just don't know if that would be the safest option for the goats :idunno

Thanks, I'm glad I stuck around....:)

Oh yes, I'll be sticking around, probably talk about goats more than chickens at the other place anyways.

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
How do you keep them all?? Do you crate some for some time during the day, do you tie them up sometimes, or do they each have their own pens/area? Or do they all just roam around?
We had three dogs who were house dogs while we were away and crated until trustworthy. With all three together, we couldn't trust them to stay put but with just one outside, they would do fine. Now that we are down to the one dog she does good most of the time only frequently visiting the next door neighbors whom she adores and they have a dog who loves her and they play. We can see their house through the trees they are so close. I hope to be able to get our pup to the point where she is trained fully to the electric net fencing so she can stay outside while we are not home instead of being stuck in the house all day, which she really doesn't mind as she enjoys to lounge on the bed and couches all day :lol: someone has to hold them down for us when we can't use them!

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Personally, I don't like barbed wire for goats. Goats that are hung or caught on barbed wire only know "Forward" and will continue to struggle until they are free or dead. I've had the pleasure of detangling one from some and it wasn't very easy....not to mention the scratches and gouges that I received from it. The goat did okay, just some pricks and scratches, but I happened to be standing there when it happened, so it could've been much worse. Some regular goat/sheep wire should do fine, but if dingos are prevalent there some strands of Hotwire will go a long way in protecting them from most vermin.