My Ali is now getting help! updated pictures

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
TE="babsbag, post: 445080, member: 1840"]It she is having a hard time with the hay maybe some alfalfa pellets would be easier.[/QUOTE]
Wouldn't she need the long fiber, though?

Last edited:

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
My guess is that suggestion was if she physically can't eat and/or digest the hay, that's the next best (but not perfect) option.

MaggieSims

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Just take some fresh goat berries to your vet for the fecal. If they are familiar with livestock at all they should be able to do this with no problems and know exactly what to look for. There is always the chance that your wormer isn't working.

I would goat feed or alfalfa pellets. Or alfalfa hay if you can get it.

My guess is that suggestion was if she physically can't eat and/or digest the hay, that's the next best (but not perfect) option.

I will be calling vet on Tues, to have her fecals done.

Should I start feeding both goat feed and alfalfa pellets or just one?

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
I will be calling vet on Tues, to have her fecals done.

Should I start feeding both goat feed and alfalfa pellets or just one?
I would do both. But go slow with the alfalfa pellets.

MaggieSims

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
One more thing.

What did you deworm her with?

Most dewormers only kill 4th stage, so if a high load you need to repeat - the time frame is often slightly different for different dewormers.

For high loads I prefer Fenbendazole given 3 consecutive days... this gives a slower release and more steady stream in the sytem. It is gentle very low risk of any overdose.

There are 3 classes of dewormers and they work differently.

I used safeguard for goats, but I'm sure used wrong, only one dose, I'll have to find my Heath book. This is a weak area for me, there are so many kinds, but little did just goats, plus some work for some and not for others, it's a sea of confusion. Ugh.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Even the dose on the safeguard bottle is not what works for goats. So much of what works is because others have gone on before us and figured it out, that is why forums like this are such a great resource. Never be afraid to ask questions if you aren't clear about something.

Yes, she would need the long fiber but not eating at all isn't going to work for her either. I would definitely give her both. What does this wad of hay look like when you pull it out of her mouth? I have a hard time trying to figure out why she would pocket it like that. If she can chew it up enough to store it in her cheek why not swallow it? I know you said it isn't cud, but mine will keep a wad of cud in there darn near all day.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
How long have you been having to remove the stuck hay?

This can happen when a goat has broken or missing back molars. Glad you noticed it, sadly some goats die of starvation or dehydration before it's noticed :(
Have the vet look inside her mouth and see if s/he can figure out why this is happening.
Have the fecal done as planned, hopefully it's just parasites and not her mouth issue causing this.

You could try a few different feeds and see what works, like the others said alfalfa pellets would be a good start. You could try to get a sample of Chaffhaye and see if she would do better on that. Soaked beet pulp might be good as well.

I agree with @babsbag on the Safeguard. If you gave the dose on the bottle and only 1 dose it probably didn't touch any parasites that she might have.

Keep us posted!

MaggieSims

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
How long have you been having to remove the stuck hay?

This can happen when a goat has broken or missing back molars. Glad you noticed it, sadly some goats die of starvation or dehydration before it's noticed :(
Have the vet look inside her mouth and see if s/he can figure out why this is happening.
Have the fecal done as planned, hopefully it's just parasites and not her mouth issue causing this.

You could try a few different feeds and see what works, like the others said alfalfa pellets would be a good start. You could try to get a sample of Chaffhaye and see if she would do better on that. Soaked beet pulp might be good as well.

I agree with @babsbag on the Safeguard. If you gave the dose on the bottle and only 1 dose it probably didn't touch any parasites that she might have.

Keep us posted!

Really?? I'm sure it's stuck hay, rather than just cud. She will still regurgitate and get a big mouth full of actual cud, and still have the original stuck hay. I've mentioned it to my pet vet, but will be calling around to find a better goat vet. They acted like a goat wouldn't have teeth issues. I've really noticed since a couple months after i got her, but didn't quite know what it was until recently.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
How old is she? Do goats have teeth issues when they get older like horses I wonder?

Why is it so hard to find a good goat vet? Arg!

Latest posts