My Ali is now getting help! updated pictures

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Strongyles is probably the parasites eggs the vet saw.

Don't stress too much, this has been a rough year for many :hugsYou did the right thing and got the fecals to the vet, now you can proceed to treat them :thumbsup

Sweetened

Herd Master
Reaction score
Something that hasn't been addressed: The copper deficiency.

Boluses are something that I have fought and fought with vets over here and they will NOT prescribe them to me because they're "not indicated for goats". I could order from Jeffers, but, randomly, the border will refuse and abandon your parcel and you're out the money. Loose minerals were not doing SQUAT for us and I had a goat come completely bald in days. If I touched her, hair fell out. I could pull it with ease -- I discovered it when the buck was mounting her and all the hair had rubbed off.

We converted to the brown selenium cattle blocks as they have the highest copper content we could find. Problem. Solved.

It has been a rough year for worm load. A friend of mine got home a couple weeks ago to find her two beloved bucks dropped dead on the new pasture. They got the necropsy back from the university today and their wormload was overwhelming. Conditions were perfect: hot dry weather, cold damp rain, hot damp weather. Boom, bloom, system overload, fell over dead. I have had a lot of luck, anecdotally, with free choice Diatomaceous earth and/or adding it to a ration. I use the RED STUFF (called red lake), because it's food/feed grade and the mine it's pulled from has bentonite in it. Bentonite is a known cleanser and purger. It assists the liver in detox. I have used the white stuff and found it does not work as well and I feel it's the bentonite that makes the difference. If you add this to their diet and not free choice, you MUST continue it for 14 days MINIMUM without fail. If you do not, the system can become toxic with die off and they (any animal) can drop dead from the toxicity.

@Southern by choice has given you the best advice here concerning treating your goats, what to use etc. Diatomaceous Earth is slow acting and best for prevention: you need to hit this hard and fast! Treat again in 3 weeks to break the cycle.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Sweetened the goat had copper already-
2, copper deficiency, really since I got her. But I couldn't find copper bolus anywhere so I got good loose minerals. After she shed winter coat I brushed her and all her black hair on her sides and back fell out. I ordered some ASAP and dosed her August 23rd.

I gave her one 4 gram capsule