My Ali is now getting help! updated pictures

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Chaffhaye is loose you basically give so much per weight of the goat.

Some goats take a little longer to want to eat it. When we first started many turned their nose up at it and wouldn't eat it. BUT we were introducing it on the milkstand. We ended up using the "herd" mentality... we set 3 troughs out put the chaffhaye in them and it worked like a charm! The "I have to have what they are having and can't be left out" thing is what had them all eating it in no time.

We still leave hay out. Give them chaff and feed.

The chaffhaye really helped condition the goats.
Just keep in mind you need to use the bag up in a timely manner. Keeping the Chaffhaye in a cool place is important.
Mid summer when it got real hot we stopped using it and we will start back up in the fall. We have plenty of forage in summer.

Our babies are raised with it free choice in their trough.

Also- our goats are OCD NOTHING can touch other foods.
Chaff goes in one thing. Alfalfa pellets another. Feed in another.
Beet pulp in another.
If the alfalfa pellets are in with their feed pellets they wo't eat it. If the beet pulp is mixed with anything -same.

We use the alfalfa pellets on occasion. When we are not using Chaff. The beet pulp is something we just brought back in... our goats would never touch it. They are now, since we figured out they just don't want it touching their other food.
Goats. :barnie

MaggieSims

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
OK, well this little feed store that just opened up is the only I've in town with it, and they are pushing it. But not many are trying it. But I like the store and support it by buying most of my stuff there, and they are willing to order and stock stuff I'll use most. But I've been toying with the idea of it, since sometimes small bales of alfalfa are hard to get. I guess I'll pop in and buy some.

I've been finding clumps of chewed hay, I think she's spitting out. After the group poo gets tested in a week or so, she is getting those teeth looked at.

What is beet pulp? I remember a friend a long time ago giving to her horses in winter, but I don't remember why?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
It is what is left after the removal of the sugars from Beets. It adds fiber and is suppose to help with weight.

What breed is she again?

Reactions: TAH

MaggieSims

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
She's registered standard Nubian. But on the shorter side. I bet maybe 100 lbs? She used to be 130 aprox, but she's lost so much.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Manna Pro has a product called Calf Manna. It is really good for adding condition and you don't give much, maybe 1/2 cup...it says on the bag. My goats love it but make sure you keep it locked up as it is very high in protein and more is not better.

My goats like the chaffhaye as well, but for me it was too difficult to feed as I feed over a fence and it doesn't toss as well as alfalfa. Plus I have no problem getting alfalfa in CA. My entire herd of 43 goats eat alfalfa...1200-1400 lbs in 8 days. :th

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
So one large square bale (12-1400 pounds) per week, at a cost of... ummmm... never mind... :hugs@babsbag ouch...