1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hoof trimming help - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

My centipede grass is taking over my pasture grass!

Discussion in 'Feeding Time - Cattle (Feed & Forages)' started by DaisythePig, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Aug 20, 2016
    DaisythePig

DaisythePig Chillin' with the herd

Anyone know how to get rid of centipede grass or good? It's taking over all my pasture grass!

Any advice?
    Thank you

2. Aug 20, 2016
    greybeard

greybeard Herd Master

depends what kind of pasture grass you have and what your personal tolerance for chemical herbicide use is.

Mike CHS and Southern by choice like this.
  3. Aug 20, 2016
    greybeard

greybeard Herd Master

The reason I said that, is because different grasses need different pH and different fertilize regimens for one to become dominant over the other.
    Centipede thrives at a pH of 4.5.
    Bahia likes 5.5.
    Tall Fescue likes 5.8-6.5pH
    Bermuda needs 6.0-6.5pH to thrive.
    If you get below your pasture forage's ideal or neccessary pH range, you are inviting then Centipede in.

It may also be you need fertilize on your pasture, depending again on what forage you are growing there.
    Different grasses utilize the NPK differently and some will die out if you get it wrong. For instance, my bahia grass is a nitrogen hog, needs 2 tons/ac every year and about 1/2 each of that of P&K.
    Centipede tho, requires only a little N a lot of K (Potassium) and virtually no Phosphorus.
    As far as I know, only glyphosate (roundup) will kill centipede 100%, but it will kill any other grass along with it.
    2,4d is known to kick Centipede back pretty hard but not harm most pasture forages.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  4. Aug 22, 2016
    Latestarter

Latestarter Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry Golden Herd Member

@Sumi perhaps this thread would be best moved to the brand new pasture section? Thanks! ;)