My chestnut QH mare is very aggresive. Help!

AnimalHugger102

Just born
Reaction score
My new chestnut QH mare is very aggressive with the other 4 horses. What should I do? Thanks!

AnimalHugger102

Just born
Reaction score
Also, I should add, she is an older horse, rescue in fact. I don't really know who or what her owners were/did.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
She probably is just food aggressive/wanting to be top mare ...some horses are that way (or become that way due to circumstances) as long as she respects people....the best thing is to seperate to feed them (grain) if you are giving hay make 5-6 piles that she cant guard them all.

baybrio

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
What type of aggression is she showing?

Is she putting her ears back and snapping at the other horses? Is she chasing them? How are the other horses reacting? How long has she been with the other horses? Have any new horses joined the herd?

It is normal horse behavior to establish a pecking order. If what you are seeing is mostly posturing with little or no actual contact it sounds like she is just trying let the geldings know that she is not to be fooled with.

On the other hand if she is chasing them into a corner and kicking them you have aggression and need to find out why.

CritterZone

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I think we need more info to help... Is she protecting a hay pile, or backing someone into a corner and pounding them into pudding? Does she take after any horse that goes near her, or does she seem to like anyone? Did she come from a herd situation or was she alone? It is not uncommon when you bring a new horse to the herd for everyone to reestablish the pecking order. Food can bring out the worst in animals, especially rescues where starvation was the problem. If you house in a herd and group feed, I would make sure there is plenty of room around all hay piles. Feed outside if you can so no one can get caught in a corner. Make at least one extra pile of hay (one more pile than there are horses) and spread them at least 10 feet apart. Don't try to referee unless someone is getting hurt, then I found a plastic bag at the end of a whip gets everyones attention (it is just to redirect their attention, no one gets hit).

brentr

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
AnimalHugger102 said:
Looking at the time stamps on your entries, I thought I'd pass on a little friendly advice. Most posters don't expect instantaneous replies to their questions/comments, with perhaps the Emergencies section being an exception. You never know who is online, who isn't, or when they will be - and who may be the one who can best answer the question posted. Posting a comment and then 12 mins later expecting response(s) is only going to set up a poster for frustration.

Generally speaking, 24 hours is reasonable to expect comments & replies, but even taking 2-3 days is not out of the realm. The BYH community is great for advice and opinions but the pace is a bit more relaxed.