My cows hair is gone?

chris706

Just born
Reaction score
Late last month I drove out into the field and realized that my angus cows had lost all of their hair.. I have tried to talk to a vet about it but most of the local ones don't come out to do vet work on cattle anymore. Any ideas? Its not the mange I have poured ivomec on all of them and still they aren't showing any progress, a friend of mine said it could be rain rot if so how would I treat it?

Rence

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
They lost their hair, or they slicked it off for the summer? Can you post a picture?

chris706

Just born
Reaction score
Don't have a picture right off hand, but no they are completely bald no hair anywhere.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
:welcome to the herd.

A picture would be very beneficial in this case. As would your location & weather you've been having so we can consider those as well.

Their summer coat is shorter and thinner than the heavy winter coat, are you sure they just didn't shed their winter coat?

You posted while I was typing. So I guess it's not shedding.

chris706

Just born
Reaction score
I will post a picture tomorrow, no I have grown up around these cows and have never seen them loose all of it the only thing u can see is skin and it is slowly affecting the other cows that are around the three that originally had this. I also have herford cattle also and it has not affected them though just the angus.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
If possible, I would separate the ones affected so hopefully, it doesn't spread any further.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
sounds like she has a bad case of cattle lice.that will make their hair fall out.its usually on the top of the neck.an its real scaly like dandruff flakes.

DixiePride

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Did you ever find out what caused your cows to lose their hair? I am experiencing the same thing with a dairy cow that is 3 weeks old and I thought it was because he had been sick with scours and dehydration but he has gotten better but his hair is coming off in sheets with his top layer of skin, the skin underneath is dry but is a creamy color, does not look irritated...

Latest posts