My Donkeys Arrived Yesterday

BrayJunction

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Here is my first BackYard Herd. :celebrate I have chickens, but of course they don't exactly qualify as a "herd." I have cared for these donkeys when their owners were on vacation, so I already knew them somewhat. They are mom, dad, and son. The jacks are gelded. They are overweight but I hope to work on that. So far they are friendly, easily groomed, and I've watched the farrier trim them at their previous home. They did very well for the farrier. I am hoping to train one to drive. Will try to get better pics soon.

912_1_8.jpg
912_1_18.jpg
912_1_13.jpg

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh, how cute! Congrats!

I hate to say it, but you may be stuck with those bulgy "pones" of fat on your donkeys. Donkeys are notorious for not losing them once they form. I knew a very elderly jenny that had a broken-over crest from all the fat, who had visible ribs at the same time. :th

("Good with the farrier" is HUGE! Lucky you!) :thumbsup

terrilhb

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
They are so cute. I want one. Good luck with them.

BrayJunction

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Bunnylady said:
I hate to say it, but you may be stuck with those bulgy "pones" of fat on your donkeys. Donkeys are notorious for not losing them once they form
Yes, I know that once "crestfallen" always crestfallen. It's too bad, but I hope to at least get them in better shape. Thanks, everyone, for the nice comments!

BoonesBain

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi! Your post caught my attention because I just went and bought a donkey sight unseen. It turns out that the pictures weren't fluff, he's obese. I've heard that it's hard to get weight off of them, but I'm going to do my darndest to get my fella into shape. He and I have been walking daily up and down the pasture hill, increasing the number of times we make the trip, daily. I realize that I'm equally out of shape so were working on it together. How wonderful of you to take on this trio. You have a lovely herd!

BrayJunction

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks for the nice comment! I'm 2 1/2 months into it and it's hard for me to say whether mine have lost weight because they came with winter coats. Now that their coats are sleek and shiny, of course they look a lot thinner. Maybe I'll post some pics soon and everyone can be the judge. Have fun with your new donkey!