My Donkeys Arrived Yesterday

manybirds

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
PulletPalace said:
Here is my first BackYard Herd. :celebrate I have chickens, but of course they don't exactly qualify as a "herd." I have cared for these donkeys when their owners were on vacation, so I already knew them somewhat. They are mom, dad, and son. The jacks are gelded. They are overweight but I hope to work on that. So far they are friendly, easily groomed, and I've watched the farrier trim them at their previous home. They did very well for the farrier. I am hoping to train one to drive. Will try to get better pics soon.

http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/uploads/912_1_8.jpg http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/uploads/912_1_18.jpghttp://www.backyardherds.com/forum/uploads/912_1_13.jpg
woah! that 2nd pic makes me relize why there called wild a$$'s (and i said that word meaning the donkey version therefore it was no cussing moderators and young ears lol)

BrayJunction

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
:yuckyuck Luckily they weren't wild a$$es when the farrier came last Saturday. It was our first experience with hoof trimming with no assistance since we got our herd and we were really nervous about how things would go. While we've worked hard to get our donkeys feeling comfortable with being haltered (yeh clicker training!) they still don't lead well. So when the farrier offered to work on each donkey where he/she was currently tied up, we were relieved. The biggest problem we had was when I left a gate open and one of the donks walked out the gate, through the barn door, and into the yard! Thankfully he stood still while I got hold of his halter and led him back into the barn. Phew! :th

lee&lyric

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
WOW, how exciting! Hubby is convinced we need one (some) to pull the fam in a wagon for transportation. Now something else I need to read up on. I have no idea where we would even acquire them. Was reading Firefox 2 the other day and a 70 y/o lady was riding hers. She's had him since he was 18 months old and as of the photo he's like 60 or some such age! How cool is that?

allbyme

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Once broken crest, always broken crest yes but I've known several donkeys that have been able to shed the fat deposits off the body. Good luck, have fun, and remember these guys can practically live off air...

allbyme

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
WOW ! Lee&Lyric, that's awesome ! My favorite guy is now 8 yrs n I'm 38. Hope he is with me forever ! :celebrate

LadyIsabelle2011

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Just realized Eyore was a crestfallen donkey...poor guy, once crestfallen, always crestfallen :/ ( :p )

All joking aside, Congrats on the donkeys, They are adorable :D

Latest posts