My first bottle baby

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Six days ago my sow had a lovely litter of 11 piglets. The only problem being she only had ten teats to nurse the babies. As the days have gone on I noticed that the runt was getting weaker. And so yesterday I finally made the decision to pull the little girl. When I brought her in she was weak, cold, and very, VERY hungry. I also noticed a large abrasion I brought her upstairs and I gave her a hot bath and she immediatly started squirming. I then brought her downstairs and gave her some formula and it only took her a few seconds to figure out syringe feeding. After that we watched netflix, the little pig, whom we named Lucy, stayed snuggled on my shoulder the entire time. I brought the heat lamp in and continued feeding her every 2-4 hours. Then today I brought her into my school and she stayed in the ag room. During my vet science class we examined the abrasion on her face. It appears to be from a puncture wound, and was definitly infected. Her eye had lots of gunk caking the eye shut so we put hot compresses on her eye and we finally were able to open it enough to flush out dirt and pus. My awesome ag teacher also set up an appointment with the local vet. So after school we brought little Lucy to the vet. The vet said she was a little chilled but that was because she wasnt under her heat lamp. Lucy is so tiny, 2.3 pounds, but she is a fighter, the vet said her heart sounded awesome. She does have a bit of a wheeze so we have antibiotics for that as well as her face. I think she will push through this, and she is so super sweet. She follows me around the house and crawls into my lap. I think I may be getting attatched..And for all those wondering yes she is living in my room. Obviously not on my bed, she has her own area.
IMG_3310.JPG

IMG_3330.JPG

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Her infection is looking a lot better today and I am so happy, I almost teared up. Yesterday after we cleaned out her eye, the bottom lid was so swollen you could barely see her eye. Today after a thorough cleaning she just looks squinty, I can see more than 1/2 her eye! Im so happy that she is reacting so well to her medicine.

Latest posts