My first goat

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
You definitely need another goat. She needs a goat companion. She will get sad. Milk production will go down.

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
Give her time to get use to all the changes in her life, just continue to love on her, feed her treats and milk her and she will get use to it all. Questions like, did the former owners milk her or let her raise her kids? What do you feed her at milking time? I have a couple of does that kick like fools if they are out of food while on the milk stand but will stand quietly if they are eating. Could she be sore from milking if you are new at it and so is she? Good luck! She is a beautiful girl.

KleinsCoop

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
She was so much better this morning! She let me milk her with no drama. I played with her in the yard before tying her up.

She doesn't like my 7 year old daughter. At all. I think it's because she is too loud and quick moving for Gertie's liking. She always runs away when she sees Kylee coming. But she did milk by hand the other night and did very well.
image.jpg

KleinsCoop

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
The Amish said they didn't bother milking her much because of her small and outward facing teats. It is tricky due to her anatomy.

The poor girl is so skinny and we feed her as much as she will eat. Which isn't much. She eats grass in the field, oats, grain and I give her some little treats for when she's on the milking stand.

I personally feel she has had it rough and we want to give her a better life.

She loves our chickens and our dog. I couldn't believe how quickly they became buddies!

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
so glad she is doing better. just continue to let her adjust and she will fit in with your family just fine.

goatboy1973

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Beautiful example of what appears to be a Saanen doe. Most dairy breeds of does will have some degree of a beard. I have a pure Alpine and she has a 6" long beard. The "horn" you referred to is called a scur and it is where the dehorning process wasn't thorough and some portion of horn re-grows. They are usually harmless but sometimes they can grow back into the skin causing pain and open wounds. I would just keep watch on it. You definitely need to get another goat as they are a very social animal with a hierarchy or pecking order and require the companionship of other goats. This man be why she is acting out.

hilarie

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ditto what everyone's said about a companion. The fact that she cuddles up with your dog may be the clue: she needs a buddy, and soon. A young'un would be nice, or a wether (a neutered male). The neutered males make great pets. They're generally sweet, friendly (especially if they were hand raised) and good company for the girls. I adore my wether, Sweet William:
image.jpg