My first goat

KleinsCoop

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
image.jpg
We just got our first goat yesterday. She is a 2 year old saanen we purchased from the Amish. She just had the kid taken from her so we are currently milking her. We named her "Gertie".

She has only one horn on her head and has a little beard. Is that normal? She also has very little teats making it hard to milk her. But I just love her!

She makes good milk! We milk her every 12 hours. 8 AM and 8 PM. This is like my dream come true!

My issue: She only responds to my husband. She lets me milk her and walk her on a lead if he is around. If I'm alone, she runs away.

Hubby goes back to work on Tuesday and I will be responsible for the morning milking. I'm scared because she doesn't seem to be taking to me well.

I've sat with her, given her treats, petted her, milked her, but she just won't come to me. What can I do? I need to do this on my own and I'm scared she won't let me milk her.

I know nothing about goats other than a close friend and the local Amish giving advice to me. Any words of encouragement?

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Beard is normal.
Looking at your picture, the horn she has is a "scur" which mean she was disbudded but part of the horn was missed. As long is it isn't curving back into her head it isn't a problem.

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Does she have another goat friend? If not I would recommend getting her one.

Maybe you can pen her up at night so she's easy to catch in the morning and then let her out after milking and when your husband comes home he can catch her in the evenings to milk.

KleinsCoop

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
She was very feisty last night at milking time. Gave us a lot of trouble. I milked her pretty much by myself yesterday morning, but last night she wanted no parts of it.

Today, she ran from me in her pen and wouldn't even get on her milking stand. I don't understand because she was so good yesterday morning.

Now she is out on her lead knocking over her buckets and making a lot of commotion. Could she be angry or not feeling well?

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Has she been "tied" before? if not, she may not understand. Or she might not feel safe. Does she have shelter to hide in without getting tangled? If you find another goat friend for her that is calmer and friendly towards you, even if it just a baby, she might be more inclined to "like" you...they are insanely jealous if someone else might be getting treats, pets, anything nice.....

Start by trying to bribe her. Most goats will eventually be able to be bribed and that is so much easier than trying to force things. Corn chips, a little grain, raisens, bananas......

KleinsCoop

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I agree ,she needs another goat to "herd" with.
Has she been "tied" before? if not, she may not understand. Or she might not feel safe. Does she have shelter to hide in without getting tangled? If you find another goat friend for her that is calmer and friendly towards you, even if it just a baby, she might be more inclined to "like" you...they are insanely jealous if someone else might be getting treats, pets, anything nice.....

Start by trying to bribe her. Most goats will eventually be able to be bribed and that is so much easier than trying to force things. Corn chips, a little grain, raisens, bananas......

No, she hadn't been tied before. As far as we know she has always lived in a barn with about 10 other goats. We bought her from the local Amish. My husband just kind of jumped on the decision to buy her. She is going to see the vet next week for a check up because I want to make sure she is healthy!

She has a pen with shelter and I also move her around the yard on a lead for now. We're in the process of fencing her in a nicer area. As I said before, my husband brought her home without much notice.

I do believe she may be lonely. Our German shepherd cuddles with her all day! She seems to like that. And the kids and I like to go out and play with her, give her some treats and get her used to us.

We discussed getting a doeling to be her friend for now. I think she's had a rough life. Hopefully as time progresses, she'll straighten up. I do enjoy having goats, but she is just...challenging!

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Challenging..... LOL!:lol:

Goats are the naughty children of the animal world! ...(in case you missed that memo)... :D

They really are challenging and they really are the naughty children, but oh they make me laugh! They are wonderful if you don't mind the extra challenges.

goats&moregoats

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Definitely in need of another goat friend for her, also if she has not been tied before then it can be rough the first few times. Challenging is definitely one way to describe these lively inquisitive naughty children. Age does not discriminate either! LOL. I have a 15 wk old Nigerian doe, Poppit, who should have been named Houdini. She finds a new way out of the pen everyday. Love all my goats to pieces and wouldn't trade having them a part of my life. They give me something to look forward to everyday.:pop