My first neocropsy/rabbit update/GRAPHIC PICTURES

()relics

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I got a bag of a meatbird type bird feed at the feed store last week...I got it home, opened it,and found it was clumpy and green around the edges....Not good.....I brought it back to the store and showed it to my "salesperson"...She was also horrified and said she would get to the bottom of the problem....Anyway...Yesterday I went in for my Biweekly feed pick-up....The feed rep said she had gotten to the bottom of the problem...She said, the mill that had bagged the feed, had Pre-bought some of the raw ingredients earlier in the year, while they were cheaper, and stored them until they were ready to make the feed. She said the mill then processed the feed when the weather was exceptionally hot and humid. some of the raw materials were overly dry and had cooled more than usual from the longer storage period...Cold feed + hot weather/bag=mold.....That is what she said...I guess it makes sense....Anyway she went on to say they were having problems with other types of feed with the same problem... Pelleted feed being more of a problem than crumbled feed....I don't know could this mean rabbit pellets as well? I'm sure all big mills follow the same prebuying and bagging methods. She said mycotoxin screening completely eliminates the problem because no matter how small the amount of the toxin it can be detected....I DON'T KNOW
Mold or the toxins that mold produce could be harder to see when the feed is made into pellets...again I don't know..I'm glad I looked into the bag of feed before I dumped it into my feeder....
The meat bird ration is made by a "generic" mill...I was feeding it because it is $2 per bag cheaper...NO MORE.. the feed store,also, dropped the product .

chinbunny1

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hey just wanted to give you guys an update. manna pro tested their feed and said nothig was wrong. Go figure. So oddly, I got a package of coupons from them yesterday.

Anyhow, i have been talking to people about this problem, and its been suspected its a virus going around causing the problems, not the feed. Its not confirmed though.

I know one lady went ahead and continued to take her rabbits to shows after they were still dying off from the same symptoms. Even to the st joe county fair in michigan last week. Ugh.

My bunnies are on pen pals. So far so good. Not too many problems. Only lost three to the illness in the past three weeks. Hopefully its all over with, and I can start showing them again.

A guy I sold some rabbits to a couple of years ago is setting me up with a nice pair of jr does, or trio if I buy his buck, for real cheap. Thes guys are really nice for what he is charging me for them! He's helping me get restarted since he knows i lost a lot of my jrs. Which is very nice of him. i did help him out a couple of years when he lost his rabbits to an illness. So i guess this is his way of paying me back. :)

miss_thenorth

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Is it possible you could repost the pics using the function on this website? Reason I'm asking, is b/c I just lost two bunns last week.I ended up processing the rest of the litter. (They were intended for meat anyways). All of their intestines were full, they seemed impacted. No air, though.I never though of taking my own pics--if it happens again(hopefully not!) I will though.

chinbunny1

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Probably not.

Anyhow. Still having problems. going to have MSU do some tests on a couple of them next week to see if there is any iseases or anything causing it.

Latest posts