My garden 😞

Xerocles

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Bless the little successes. All the fence posts are in! The wire is ordered from TSC for a curbside pickup. Don't know when it'll be available. According to the web site it is in stock. But last time I inquired in person, I was told they don't stock any that length (150') We'll see.
And @Beekissed thank you very much for your input on this. Due to other "complications" I am going to go with the electric attached on the same posts as the poultry netting. And see what happens. Can't place it away from the fence due to property lines. Que sera sera.
Another electric question. The wire will be attached to wooden posts. I know wood is an insulator, but in a downpour, it is wet all the way to the ground. So I am assuming that I will still need insulated "standoffs"? And the posts are 10ft. Can I get a away with standoffs secured every other post?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
First insulators/stand offs come in pkg of 25 generally. No single buys. And no, I would not go every other post. It's better to have one at least every post, esp with 10' spacing. You need the stability and you don't generally have it "twang" tight, too easy to break. Over time, it will sag, also.

Xerocles

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
First insulators/stand offs come in pkg of 25 generally. No single buys. And no, I would not go every other post. It's better to have one at least every post, esp with 10' spacing. You need the stability and you don't generally have it "twang" tight, too easy to break. Over time, it will sag, also.
Gotcha. Thanks. Will do.

Xerocles

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hey, I haven't mentioned my pear trees lately. The one which bloomed really early and got hit with 2 nights in the 20s....blooms held on well for nearly a week afterwards.......but no fruit set.:mad: The other, which bloomed two weeks later is now loaded with pears about the size of my little finger. So many I really need to consider knocking some of them off.
So, barring any unforseen circumstances, I'll have plenty of pear butter this fall.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Bless the little successes. All the fence posts are in! The wire is ordered from TSC for a curbside pickup. Don't know when it'll be available. According to the web site it is in stock. But last time I inquired in person, I was told they don't stock any that length (150') We'll see.
And @Beekissed thank you very much for your input on this. Due to other "complications" I am going to go with the electric attached on the same posts as the poultry netting. And see what happens. Can't place it away from the fence due to property lines. Que sera sera.
Another electric question. The wire will be attached to wooden posts. I know wood is an insulator, but in a downpour, it is wet all the way to the ground. So I am assuming that I will still need insulated "standoffs"? And the posts are 10ft. Can I get a away with standoffs secured every other post?

You'll need insulators on each post...wood isn't a good insulator.

Xerocles

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Garden infrastructure is a go, practically. Found the wire. Insulators (on EVERY post) and wire is run. I need clamps to secure the wire to the 3 grounding rods, and hardware to hang the gate (would that be an "essential" trip?) But the control box is hung (in a weather proof box) and ready to set the battery in place.
I have plants ready to go in the ground. Should have transplanted them today (Good Friday). My Grandma ALWAYS planted on Good Friday.

20200410_173247.jpg
20200410_181401.jpg
72346[/ATTACH]
20200410_181209.jpg

Are those BLOOMS about to open on my blackberry bush already?

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Here's a handy tip with ducks and gardens....don't plant anything next to the fence, as they like to pace that fence all day long and those big feet will trample anything you plant pretty badly.

Another tip...any seedlings will be consumed pretty quickly by the ducks, so you have to fence those off until they get bigger so the ducks won't eat them. Deer netting and push in stakes work fine.

Tip #3....they like to nibble greenery where they swim or drink, so plant some sacrifice greens in that area...actually, it's a good idea to plant some sacrifice greens for them to consume anyway, as they will need that in their diet.

And tip 4...you may want to just have 2 ducks in a garden that size...I've found that they can damage quite a bit of stuff if they don't have enough green stuff to eat and also with their constant roaming around. While they are little, it may not cause a problem, but they grow really quickly. I found my ducks did much better if I only left them in the garden periodically to eat all the pests, then let them out to free range a bit until more bugs moved into the garden, then cycled them back through. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Ducks are very much creatures of habit, so they are pretty easy to train to return to a space if they are used to being fed there each evening.