My garden and bush beans that have a little extra.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh I know what you mean. My hubby and I say all the time, if the younger generation had to feed themselves they would starve. Oh yeah, they could google it and find the info on how to grow, harvest and can but the hard work would put them in the dirt. They'd never be willing to do it. :)
There are a few that are doing it but on a whole no they say it is to much work. Funny part is they also complain about food prices, if they fully understood all the work involved I think they would be offering to pay more.

Deecarter

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I am glad to hear you are having a good harvest. Whenever I have had enough for the year I just pull the plants and feed them to my livestock. We normally plant an entire row of green beans, a row for us being about 50 ft and after 3 pickings I pull the plants.
I have 3 rows with each about 45 feet. I think after the next picking I'm pulling them and yep, giving them to the chickens and goats. Nothing goes to waste around our house.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh my gosh! The green beans! Last week I canned 41 quarts and there are still blooms and baby green beans that will be coming on soon. I was exhausted by Friday.
41 quarts?? Wow! I’m growing pole beans and only have 33 pints! Maybe I need to rethink this and grow bush beans next year!

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
41 quarts?? Wow! I’m growing pole beans and only have 33 pints! Maybe I need to rethink this and grow bush beans next year!
In my experience bush beans have a much higher yield and produce sooner then pole beans in my area. We do have a much shorter growing season though so your mileage may vary. We always plant bluelake bush beans, not sure how they do in heat.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
This year I’m growing 2 different varieties of purple podded pole beans, they turn green when cooked. I can pints, that’s a serving apiece for me and DH. My garden over all is crap this year. After the -6 degrees freak storms we had in February, it started raining and didn’t let up for months. It was cold at night-for this area, and planting was out of the question. It’s August and I haven’t got a ripe tomato yet. I broke down and actually bought tomatoes. Whine. Moan. Complain. :lol: :lol: Oh well.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
This year I’m growing 2 different varieties of purple podded pole beans, they turn green when cooked. I can pints, that’s a serving apiece for me and DH. My garden over all is crap this year. After the -6 degrees freak storms we had in February, it started raining and didn’t let up for months. It was cold at night-for this area, and planting was out of the question. It’s August and I haven’t got a ripe tomato yet. I broke down and actually bought tomatoes. Whine. Moan. Complain. :lol: :lol: Oh well.
Same Bay! Our growing season is wacked out. We had that late frost, then a drought, now to much rain, and to top it off the weather is freezing some days and cooking hot others so the plants are all so confused. Our onions have started falling over as of a week ago which is insane for july, normally our onions wont start falling over until September.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I only have the purple podded green beans, yellow squash, zucchini and some pathetic tomatoes in the garden. We won’t talk about the knee deep grass or the ragweed and lambs quarters over my head….. we mowed me trails yesterday and I had to use long handled pruning loppers on the ragweed and lambs quarters.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I only have the purple podded green beans, yellow squash, zucchini and some pathetic tomatoes in the garden. We won’t talk about the knee deep grass or the ragweed and lambs quarters over my head….. we mowed me trails yesterday and I had to use long handled pruning loppers on the ragweed and lambs quarters.
Mowing the weeds/grass between rows is a viable gardening option. It is not the best for the plants of course but does help retain moisture and keep the ground from heating up to much. With all the rain we have a lot of very big weeds that are trying to take over our garden as well.