My garden and bush beans that have a little extra.

KaylynJenkins

Just born
Reaction score
Food prices are rising not because the work in the agricultural industry is difficult and requires more costs. Now everything has risen in price, but the younger generation does nothing and does not want to. I can't imagine how my daughter will live apart from me if she can't cook. She works and can afford shopping. But if she lived in a farming town, she would eat raw food since she cannot even pick cherries for canning. I offered to plant some tomato seeds, so she bought https://www.ysnetting.com/the-importance-of-agricultural-netting/ and watering for me. That's what money does with a generation. It's easier for them to buy everything and hire someone.

Last edited:

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
:welcomeWelcome to the forum @KaylynJenkins . There are several different threads about the state of the country, gardening and such. When the money gets tight, when so many lose their jobs, when us farmers get to the point of not being able to afford the fuel and fertilizer prices anymore, people like your daughter are going to get a rude awakening. No offense to her as my son's GF is much the same and he keeps saying about how are people going to live????Yet he cannot see his own situation as clearly as I think he should. But that is another topic.
There is a thread "Shortages" that you might enjoy.

Please go to your name top right, down to account settings, and put a general location in under that heading. It helps those of us to know the approximate area you are in.... it will show up on your avatar ever time you post... some of us "old fogies" that can't remember...:old
:gig

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not that there is anything wrong but the thread you answered is a year old. Sometimes it is nice to have things revived by "newbies"... makes some of us look back and reread things.
Most on here are homesteader type, many retired or "older"... but it is great that we have some "young blood" that helps to give some hope to the future. My son and I are more "big time" farmers than most... but we both work off farm jobs. Mine is slowing down, through attrition... I have been a milk tester for 30+ years and small farms are selling out. My son works in the Dept of Transportation....20+ years... We run 150 head of cow/calf pairs, raise and sell feeders... make most all our own hay.... AS A SIDELINE JOB.... because in order to buy the farmland he has, there has to be other income.
It will bore you to death, but I have a journal....farmerjan's journal - weather... and have tried to help some on here to understand some of what affects the farming industry and in the long run, affects the smaller landholder and things like feed costs and hay costs... and even how it is NOT always so bad for commercial farming practices. Not that I agree with many of them, and I grow a completely organic garden... but organic farming is not all that it is touted to be and how the regulations have been so twisted from what it was inititally intended to be.
Hope you enjoy the forum.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Food prices are rising not because the work in the agricultural industry is difficult and requires more costs. Now everything has risen in price, but the younger generation does nothing and does not want to. I can't imagine how my daughter will live apart from me if she can't cook. She works and can afford shopping. But if she lived in a farming town, she would eat raw food since she cannot even pick cherries for canning. I offered to plant some tomato seeds, so she bought https://www.ysnetting.com/the-importance-of-agricultural-netting/ and watering for me. That's what money does with a generation. It's easier for them to buy everything and hire someone.
Welcome to the forum from east Texas. You are so right!

Latest posts