My gilts first piglets

Z's Farm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
My favorite pig had pigs of her own on March 1. She had five and one still born. However by the third there were only four left one got crushed poor piggy. Today there are still four they are growing fine and seem to be in good health. They are dealing with rain for the first time. Against my own desires I have not picked up any of the babies. I would like any suggestions on my little piglets and raising them.
20151104_110620.jpg

Mom and Dad
20160302_122947[1].jpg

New Borns Now there are only 2 brown spoted ones and two pink one

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I don't know much about hogs other than they are delicious... Is there some reason why you haven't handled the piglets? Do you not want them accustomed to being handled? Are you friendly with the sow and boar, or are they mean? I imagine once they're weaned you'd put them on a good hog grower food plus whatever table scraps and such... left overs, garden waste, yard trimmings and the like. I don't know if there are any inoculations for swine... :hu The piggies look good to me... Good luck with them!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh I would be hugging and squeezing on some babies! (wearing earplugs for those million decibel squeals) Not much cuter than a baby pig! Congrats on the beautiful litter!

Sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I can't see why you can't handle the piglets, as long as mom lets you, of course! Congratulations on the first litter, they look great!

What we did when our pigs had litters was make sure they have a comfortable place to sleep and provide some extra food for mom (for the milk), to make sure she stays in good condition. Keep an eye on the littles for injuries, skin issues, etc, as you do with older pigs and we pretty much left them to it. I don't know if there are any recommended vaccines you can give them, hopefully a pig owner closer to you will chime in on that.

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Picking the babies up will cause them to squeal, and that likely will upset the sow. Pigs are not meant to be lap sitters.

cjc

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
This is an old post but my advice from my only experience raising them. Tag them right away haha. Catching them, then lifting a 50lb pig in the air by its feet, having someone else tag it well it poops in your face is not ideal. :barnie