My goat’s leg

Gabe1218

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have a 9 month old doe whose front left leg hurts. There are no visible signs injury, but whenever she’s not walking she kneels or lays down. She has been like this for almost two weeks. Her lower leg is warm to the touch. So I think it might be laminitis, but I’m not sure. Her hoof looks totally normal.
We recently moved our goats into a new pasture where the don’t have much vegetation to forage. Could it be the change in diet that is cause laminitis or is it not even laminitis? I tried put some anti inflammatory for dogs in her pellet food but she wouldn’t eat it. Other than her foot/hoof pain she is completely normal. Please share your thoughts, because I don’t know what to do.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
It would depend, generally diet change would be the cause. Did you suddenly give them much richer food, more food, less forage, concentrates, high-protein?? You moved them into a low forage pasture, are you giving them free access to hay to supplement?

When were her hooves trimmed last? We used to see goats down on their knees when we used to trim for hire, the main two causes were either hooves left way to long for a long time or long/folded hooves causing hoof rot. Laminitis in goats isnt a super common thing.

Has she ever had a kid before? Can you post a picture of her hooves? If her hooves swoop in from the front it is laminitis quickly becoming founder.

Gabe1218

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
It would depend, generally diet change would be the cause. Did you suddenly give them much richer food, more food, less forage, concentrates, high-protein?? You moved them into a low forage pasture, are you giving them free access to hay to supplement?

When were her hooves trimmed last? We used to see goats down on their knees when we used to trim for hire, the main two causes were either hooves left way to long for a long time or long/folded hooves causing hoof rot. Laminitis in goats isnt a super common thing.

Has she ever had a kid before? Can you post a picture of her hooves? If her hooves swoop in from the front it is laminitis quickly becoming founder.
This morning I found all four of my does on there knees or laying down. The weird thing is it seems to be the front left foot that hurts on all of them. My wether and buck seem fine. They stay in the same barn and pasture as the does and eat the same things. All my goats are definitely due for a hoof trim, but they're not too bad. I will trim all their hooves today, but I don't think that's the problem. I have not changed the feed, I give them hay 2-3 times a week, and I occasionally cut tree branches and give it to them. Should I be giving them more hay? I think if it is laminitis it could be because of a mineral deficiency. When they got through their last salt lick I completely forgot to buy a new one. That was over a year ago. :oops: I am going to buy them a salt lick today and hopefully that will help.
She has never kidded, but my other goats have and it looks like they have the same problem. What do you mean by her hooves swooping in from the front?

Here's a picture of her standing. In person you can tell she's in pain.
1627488034959.png

Last edited:

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
This morning I found all four of my does on there knees or laying down. The weird thing is it seems to be the front left foot that hurts on all of them. My wether and buck seem fine. They stay in the same barn and pasture as the does and eat the same things. All my goats are definitely due for a hoof trim, but they're not too bad. I will trim all their hooves today, but I don't think that's the problem. I have not changed the feed, I give them hay 2-3 times a week, and I occasionally cut tree branches and give it to them. Should I be giving them more hay? I think if it is laminitis it could be because of a mineral deficiency. When they got through their last salt lick I completely forgot to buy a new one. That was over a year ago. :oops: I am going to buy them a salt lick today and hopefully that will help.
She has never kidded, but my other goats have and it looks like they have the same problem. What do you mean by her hooves swooping in from the front?

Here's a picture of her standing. In person you can tell she's in pain.View attachment 87097
I can't see her hooves in the picture so I am thinking that means not over grown. If your other herd animals are now displaying the same thing it is probly time to call the vet.

A lack of minerals over that period of time should not cause laminitis, it can cause many other problems. If you mean a literal salt lick, that should not make any difference. Loose minerals work better for goats then blocks, and are more then just salt.

As far as hay needs go, that depends on what the pellets you mentioned actually are?

Gabe1218

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I can't see her hooves in the picture so I am thinking that means not over grown. If your other herd animals are now displaying the same thing it is probably time to call the vet.

A lack of minerals over that period of time should not cause laminitis, it can cause many other problems. If you mean a literal salt lick, that should not make any difference. Loose minerals work better for goats then blocks, and are more then just salt.

As far as hay needs go, that depends on what the pellets you mentioned actually are?
The salt lick was not actually salt. I don't know exactly what it was, but I think it was a lick for sheep or cows. I live in Chile, South America. There are not any vets for livestock where I live and not many people own goats. So calling a vet is not a option. I have no idea what could cause such sudden problems in all my does. The only recent change in their diet and routine has been confining them in the pasture.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
The salt lick was not actually salt. I don't know exactly what it was, but I think it was a lick for sheep or cows. I live in Chile, South America. There are not any vets for livestock where I live and not many people own goats. So calling a vet is not a option. I have no idea what could cause such sudden problems in all my does. The only recent change in their diet and routine has been confining them in the pasture.

I'm sorry I did not realize you lived in Chile. Are there any plants in the pasture that would be very high in protein?

Gabe1218

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm sorry I did not realize you lived in Chile. Are there any plants in the pasture that would be very high in protein?
No reason to apologize; I was just informing you of the situation. There is just grass in the pasture, but the tree limbs I give them might be high in protein.

Gabe1218

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
What kind of tree are they from? Are you giving them more pellets then before they were on pasture? What are the pellets?
I gave them a couple kind of tree limbs, but one of them they didn't eat at all. I'll take that one out, but the other one they have been eating pretty much their whole lives without any problems. I'm glad you asked about the pellets because I think I found the issue. I didn't even think to check the ingredients when buying their feed. The feed is made for sheep because like I said before, not many people have goats. The ingredients are corn, oats, barley sprouts, lupine, canola, bean flower, soy, and whole wheat flower. It says it's 16% protein. I think they're eating to much grain and/or protein. Do you agree? Should I change their feed or just feed them less often? Currently I'm feeding them once every day. I don't know exactly how much each of them eats, but I'd say about 1-2 cups per day.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I gave them a couple kind of tree limbs, but one of them they didn't eat at all. I'll take that one out, but the other one they have been eating pretty much their whole lives without any problems. I'm glad you asked about the pellets because I think I found the issue. I didn't even think to check the ingredients when buying their feed. The feed is made for sheep because like I said before, not many people have goats. The ingredients are corn, oats, barley sprouts, lupine, canola, bean flower, soy, and whole wheat flower. It says it's 16% protein. I think they're eating to much grain and/or protein. Do you agree? Should I change their feed or just feed them less often? Currently I'm feeding them once every day. I don't know exactly how much each of them eats, but I'd say about 1-2 cups per day.
It sounds like protein wise that feed should be ok, 16% is the normal amount for goats and sheep. Maybe just keep them off grain all together for a couple weeks and see if that helps. Give them more hay instead if they are low on pasture forage. Honestly I'm kind of stumped on what could be causing the problem without any major changes happening recently. Really the only thing I can think of aside from grain is something in the pasture but you already said it is only grass so that doesnt really make sense. Are they still acting like their hooves are sore?