My goat’s leg

Gabe1218

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
It sounds like protein wise that feed should be ok, 16% is the normal amount for goats and sheep. Maybe just keep them off grain all together for a couple weeks and see if that helps. Give them more hay instead if they are low on pasture forage. Honestly I'm kind of stumped on what could be causing the problem without any major changes happening recently. Really the only thing I can think of aside from grain is something in the pasture but you already said it is only grass so that doesnt really make sense. Are they still acting like their hooves are sore?
Ya, they are still staying off their feet whenever they can. I am going out to the barn a few times a day to make them stand up and walk. Today I stop feeding them pellets and I will give them as much hay as they want. I'm thinking about splinting them for a couple hours a day to keep them walking. They're all due to kid in the next 1-2 months, so I hope the recover before then. I'm worried for them and their kids. Thank you for all your help; I'll keep you posted.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I too am stumped as to what could be going on.

I would super carefully inspect their hooves, see if there is any injury or infection in there.

I would find a loose mineral to give them.

I would free feed them hay.

And I would look into all of your local parasites. Maybe this is a local parasite??

As to splitting their legs... be very careful about not making it too tight.

Gabe1218

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
o
I too am stumped as to what could be going on.

I would super carefully inspect their hooves, see if there is any injury or infection in there.

I would find a loose mineral to give them.

I would free feed them hay.

And I would look into all of your local parasites. Maybe this is a local parasite??

As to splitting their legs... be very careful about not making it too tight.
ok, thanks for you suggestions. Today I trimmed and inspected their hooves and they look normal. The doe I originally came here about, ellen, and another doe seem to be the worst off. The other ones are almost normal. Just a little limping. I soaked all of their feet in iodine just to be safe.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Are you sure it is their hooves? Could it be their joints? Are these does all related to each other? Were they nursed on their mothers or bottle fed pasteurized milk and heat treated colostrum? Is it possible that they have developed CAE?

If they are heavily pregnant, their pregnancy weight might have made sore or arthritic knees hurt more.

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Have you checked closely for injuries? Especially from a small dog or something biting them? Are they running a fever?
Is it hotter than normal, because I’m wondering if the heat and pregnancy is a part of this.

Gabe1218

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Are you sure it is their hooves? Could it be their joints? Are these does all related to each other? Were they nursed on their mothers or bottle fed pasteurized milk and heat treated colostrum? Is it possible that they have developed CAE?

If they are heavily pregnant, their pregnancy weight might have made sore or arthritic knees hurt more.
I actually don't think it's their hooves. their hooves look completely normal. We trimmed all their hooves on friday and they aren't perfect but they've been worse. They are all related. The mom/grandma of them all is doing better then the rest. They were all nursed by their mothers. When some of them walk I can here their joints cracking. Is that a sign of arthritis? Could they all have genetic arthritis?

Gabe1218

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Have you checked closely for injuries? Especially from a small dog or something biting them? Are they running a fever?
Is it hotter than normal, because I’m wondering if the heat and pregnancy is a part of this.
Yes I checked for injuries, and I can't find any. On one of them her lower leg is slightly warmer than her other legs. It is winter here in the southern hemisphere, so it's not very hot.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I actually don't think it's their hooves. their hooves look completely normal. We trimmed all their hooves on friday and they aren't perfect but they've been worse. They are all related. The mom/grandma of them all is doing better then the rest. They were all nursed by their mothers. When some of them walk I can here their joints cracking. Is that a sign of arthritis? Could they all have genetic arthritis?
CAE is a disease and if one has it, they all have it usually. CAE is most commonly spread from mother to kid when nursing so if they are all mom/daughter thats a strong case for it.

"The arthritic form of the CAE virus is most common and is seen in adult goats 1 - 2 years old. Signs usually include weight loss, poor hair condition, and enlarged joints, especially in the carpal, hocks, and stifle. Other symptoms during the early onset of the virus include leg lameness."

Gabe1218

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
CAE is a disease and if one has it, they all have it usually. CAE is most commonly spread from mother to kid when nursing so if they are all mom/daughter thats a strong case for it.

"The arthritic form of the CAE virus is most common and is seen in adult goats 1 - 2 years old. Signs usually include weight loss, poor hair condition, and enlarged joints, especially in the carpal, hocks, and stifle. Other symptoms during the early onset of the virus include leg lameness."
Oh, that fits their condition. Except none of my goats have nursed in five months. I guess it could have spread another way. And why would it so suddenly appear in all my goats? Their knees aren't swollen. Is there any treatment?

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh, that fits their condition. Except none of my goats have nursed in five months. I guess it could have spread another way. Their knees aren't swollen. Is there any treatment?

It is picked up at birth but doesnt show signs until later in life so the time since nursing does not matter. There is no treatment and they will not get better if it is CAE. CAE will eventually cause death as they will at some point no longer be able to get up to get to food/water or ruminate properly.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/c...conditions-and-caprine-arthritis-encephalitis

There is a test to know for sure if they have CAE but without any vets I am not sure where you would send the blood sample to for the determination.

Latest posts