My goat is being TOO friendly. Help!

GrassFarmerGalloway

Melts for all babies
Reaction score
I have a goat named Marshall, he's a saanen, which I know are genetically a more people-oriented breed. But he's really crossed a line. I love being able to sit down in the goat pen and watch my goats eat, have them stand by me while I scratch their foreheads, etc, but he's getting more and more agressive about his need for attention.

He's taken to pawing my lap when I sit down, nosing my face, pushing up against me, licking me all over, which I didn't mind when he was a younger kid (he's 6 months now), but it's gotten worse. I know he's trying to be friendly, but he's just being too in-your-face and rambunctious. Is there anything I can do about this? I'm not sure what to do anymore.

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Take a water pistol in there with you, and when he exhibits the unwanted behavior, give him a squirt. He'll eventually discover that you don't like him doing that and give you space.

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I can see how this could be problematic. My 2 year old, Cissy has started putting her hoofs on my chest, but it encourages Mione to be brave and wait for pets so I've been allowing it... to an extent.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
You've seen how they reprimand each other. A good shove with a harsh, "Uh-UH!" works, but you may have to do it a few times. Never allow behaviors in a young animal that won't be cute when they are full-grown.....Tough, I know. I let my doeling get in my lap when she was little, then stopped allowing that. She is over eighty pounds now, and a few days ago, I sat on some pallets in the sun for a few minutes. It had been months since she sat on my lap, but she remembered, and tried to.....it was soooo funny! She would fold her knees up on my thighs but then couldn't figure out what to do with her butt and would fall off the pallets, over and over. :lol:

houndit

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
If he ever tries to jump up on you, knee him in his chest. After a few times they will usually stop.

kimmyh

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I don't shove goats, think about how they interact, shove yields shove, kneeing equals butting. When they jump, I step aside, 2-3 times of that and the goats figure out their foot resting spot moves and it isn't fun. Back when I was new to goats I tried shoving, and wound up with an extremely dangerous buck.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I agree with Kimmy.. If you interact with a buck as though you're another buck, you'll eventually lose that battle. And when I say eventually, I mean rather quickly...months, not years. They get big fast, and they don't even have to be that big to be amazingly strong.

Water pistol..hotshot..something another goat can't do would be best because it's unlikely to be something they see as a challenge or escalation to a challenge..

Our old buck tried raring up at me for a while, just to play.. What was worrisome was that he did it to get my attention, which meant he was raring up when I had my back turned. One good shot to the lower back and I might end up in a chair, ya know..

So, I started paying close attention and kinda watching him in the periphery.. Everytime he rared up, I'd spin around and kick him right square in the chest. He obviously couldn't figure out how I was doing that -- not something other goats have the ability to do -- so he just stopped altogether. Had I pushed on his head to try to move him away, though -- well, that's GAME ON to a goat.

kimmyh

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Years ago I had a buck someone had ruined with shoving and hitting, and that bugger would get you when you turned your back. The buck I had would slam us when we were dumping feed dishes, heading out the gate, or petting other goats. I gave him to a farm that runs their bucks with their does, in a hands off operation-except for vaccination and hoof trimming, and he is finally happy. I would never kick/hit a goat, they just don't process that information the way horses and dogs process.

Rock Farmer

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
The water pistol idea would work well. My wife had a problem with a dominant doe who did not like her around. We kept a small spray bottle hanging by the gate, and my wife would take it in with her. If "Sassy" acted up, she got squirted in the face. It only took a little of this to straighten her out. It is cheap and it works (and it does not hurt the goat).

FarmerChick

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
yea you push back on a goat and they think it is time for the strength battle....lol

I did this with a few small goats, pushed on them and "played" and yes in the end I lost....lol

I had MANY of these goats who never leave ya alone. I just ignored them.

I learned my lesson to never "play" rough with goats when smaller. So I never do it anymore. I just let them stand and I pet or give them a good scratch rub now, never the playful type of thing anymore. Just leads to them being a royal pain in the butt....lol

good luck to you....

Latest posts