Goat Shaman

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have 5 goats. My male Ronin is my smallest and youngest; and he's a Nigerian Dwarf. My does are Bambina (a Nigerian Dwarf), Periwinkle (a Pygmy), Wanda (a Boer/Nubian mix), and her daughter Imzadi who's sire was a long haired pygmy who I sold several months ago. Keep in mind, I prefer having a mixed herd, but that's just me.

Ronin was 2 months old when I got him in late July, so he's about 4 months old now. He's fully scrotal, but he hasn't shown any interest in the females yet. When I had my long haired pygmy buck, he wouldn't leave the females alone with his constant "wot-wots" and snorting. But Ronin doesn't do that. Is it possible he may be breeding the does when I'm not looking even though he's not exhibiting male mating behaviors? Also, Wanda is about 100 pounds and about twice the height of Ronin. Could he possibly reach her?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
If he's 4 months old, he's almost assuredly capable. The male display factor may not exist yet as he's still so young, he hasn't learned to do that yet. As for the size/height disparity, where there's a will, there's a way. Folks use Nigis with standard sized goats to create minis, so if there's anything he can stand on or a dip in the land she can stand in, they can make it happen.