My great pyr won't eat

cwoods

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My beautiful girl won't eat and all of a sudden shying away from me. She always gets excited when come to the fence and barn, runs the pasture and jumps up on the door to be petted. This morning I noticed she wasn't very active and just picking at her food. Tonight she wouldn't eat and was avoiding coming to me. I sat at the edge of the doorway and she came to me and allowed me to pet her but was definitely acting strange. If she's not eating by morning, I'm calling the vet. Anyone have anything similar happen? She's just a year old and is normally very happy and active.

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
I have no ideas but glad you are getting a vet and I hope all is okay. Did she maybe eat something she shouldn't have? Did she get scolded recently for something>

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
That is odd. I would most def. have the vet out. When a big dog goes off feed that is a red flag for sure

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just copy paste and put your answers in- that is easiest-

What breed is she again?

Spayed?

If not when was last heat cycle?

Updated on rabies vaccine? When was last vaccine?

Has she had any kills lately? If so what was it?

Can you get a temp?

Is she possibly pregnant?

What does she normally eat? When? How much?

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Really. I didn't know that. If my lab goes off feed its cause he is sick. Never had LGD's.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Really. I didn't know that. If my lab goes off feed its cause he is sick. Never had LGD's.

Yeah, Lgd's are very different. They may decide to not eat for a few days. Believe it or not they really don't eat much food at all.
Our 12 month pups get 1 3qt scoop of feed each per day ... 3qt scooper comes out to about 5-8 cups depending on food type/size. They sometimes finish food sometimes not... they are now over 130lbs. My German Shepherd Dog eats more than they do.

I have a pyr bitch (Eliza) that goes completely off feed while she is in heat. She won't touch it... she will flip it, bury it just won't touch it. :\ Some of our males will limit feed when a bitch is in heat too.