My Horse Can Be Weird

MiniGoatsRule

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My cremello gelding, Casper, has some awkward habits. He likes Flamin' Hot Lime Cheetos, and saturn peaches. Are those good for him? And sometimes he will just randomly be bit by our docile gelding Quincy. Is that Casper or does Quincy not like him?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
How is Caspar doing? I think it is cool that he likes Flamin' Hot Lime Cheetos, and saturn peaches. Are they good for him? In great quantity, probably not. But I doubt that he is getting great quantities, just a treat. I had a horse that ate bologna and mustard sandwiches.

When one horse randomly bites another one, it is more than likely asserting it's dominance. Horses have a social order. #1 is the lead mare and she is the top horse in the herd. It goes on down the social order to the one at the bottom of the herd.

My old cremello gelding has always been at the bottom of the social order. If he is at the hay ring, another horse comes up, backs their ears, shows teeth and may bite. Joe has to move to let the other horse at the hay bale. Sometimes he even stands off, until the others have had their fill and walked away. You might think that is not fair, but even the lowest horse in the herd, desperately needs that herd. A horse alone is vulnerable to predators.

If Joe is separated from the herd (3 horses) he will neigh, and trot back to them. He can get quite frantic to join the herd.

Enjoy your horse, would love to see pictures of Caspar.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
No... his stream is fine...may need it but I doubt he has ever had it done... keep hoping Mom will come see him. They have been here 6 weeks and the only time she handled him was when they got hoof trims.... o_O
Maybe he just has a strange habit. Ask your Mom if he has always done this, my next guess would be maybe he has an UTI or kidney infection. Ruling that out, I'd say he's just has his very own, peculiar idiosyncrasy.

MiniGoatsRule

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Its only Casper that Quincy bites... I did not mention that. That might help, but then again... They could be battling over that dominance stuff. And he has only had the cheetos once... It was on that same trail ride where he got sick. That was also where I gave him the bite of peach. Our friend was feeding her horse Keeper those cheetos, and her mom was feeding them to her 2 year old stud who I forgot his name. They ARE fed in small portions. (And Baymule, it is pretty awesome that you had a bologna-eating horse:cool:. I wonder what our mini horse Bugs would eat if I got it close enough...)

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Horses are our pets. Big, but spoiled brats. They like treats too and who knows what they'll eat? Just got to keep it safe for them, mine love bread, so they get a few pieces once in awhile for a treat.