My Horses

Ranch Girl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I haven't posted any pictures yet so I though I'd post some pics of our horses.

This is "Maymay" she is a quarter horse mare.
1489_maymay_not_wanting_to_look_at_me.jpg

This is "Cocoa" She is a black and white paint horse mare.
1489_cocoa_eating_grass.jpg

This is "Little Bit" He is a blue roam gelding. Cocoa's colt for last April. She was going to have another colt this April, but she lost it.
1489_dsc_0717.jpg

This is " Dixie" She is a red lined back dun mare. She is going to have another colt this April!
1489_dixie_walking.jpg

This is Dixie's colt from last April " Breck" is also a red lined back dun gelding.
1489_dsc_0716.jpg

"Gus" he is a Palimino gelding.
1489_gus_looking_at_me.jpg

This is "Bedford." He is a Sorrel gelding.
1489_bedford_running_to_see_if_anybody_is_geting_any_food.jpg

This is "Moxley" she is a mare. Bedford and Butter nut are both her colts. And the colt in the pic is her's, but we traded him for Mississippi.
1489_may_14_107.jpg

This is "Mississippi" She is a Bay mare.
1489_mississippi.jpg

"Rebel" is a blue roam gelding, he is Dixie's oldest colt.
1489_horses_grazing_2.jpg

"Stars & Bars" is a red roam mare.
1489_stars_and_barrs.jpg

"Butter Nut" is a Blue roam gelding. He is one of Moxley's colts.
1489_butternut_with_saddle_on.jpg

Hope you liked the pictures.:frow

ducks4you

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ranch Girl said:
This is Dixie's colt from last April " Breck" is also a red lined back dun gelding.
http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/uploads/1489_dsc_0716.jpg
All nice looking ponies! :love
I just wanted to point out that "Breck" is a really good example of a healthy horse with a summer coat that shows a little rib, but ISN'T underweight. My Vet has been stressing to be careful overfeeding, for the last few years. Just wanted to point out a good visual. And, of course, :thumbsup on your pretty herd!

Ranch Girl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
Ranch Girl said:
http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/uploads/1489_dsc_0716.jpg
All nice looking ponies! :love
I just wanted to point out that "Breck" is a really good example of a healthy horse with a summer coat that shows a little rib, but ISN'T underweight. My Vet has been stressing to be careful overfeeding, for the last few years. Just wanted to point out a good visual. And, of course, :thumbsup on your pretty herd!
Oh, thanks! The pictures of Little Bit and Breck, I took just yesterday. And the other pictures aren't that recent. My horse Cocoa isn't doing as good as I'd like. She is really loosing weight, but she is a REALLY picky eater. She hates alfalfa hay. She only like sweet feed and grain ... :rolleyes:

ducks4you

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I nursed 3 of my horses into their twenties, including an Arab who I owned since he was 4, and he had NEVER been fat in his life. I managed to keep them all in good weight.
Have you tried Purina's Equine Senior? They have a new recipe that is designed to be fed even to horses that don't have teeth anymore. It's pelleted (extruded--that's like toothpaste) so it's easy to chew, and the recipe is nice and sweet--I think Cocoa would like it. My younger horses try to steal bits, so I know it must taste good.
Vets are now recommending Equine Senior to be fed to debilitated horses of all ages because of the easy to digest nutrition.
I imagine you've already had your Vet out and get the routine teeth floating--I only mention this for new horse owners who don't know that we have to do this. :lol:

Ranch Girl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanks. :) We made her some brand - mash for her and Dixie when it was really cold, and we put all kinds of good stuff in there and she is doing a little better, but when ever she comes up to the barn I feed her.

sterlng&sierra

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Your horses are pretty, and it is nice to be able to keep those babies! I could never breed and sell, I'd get too attatched. However, Cocoa is a bit underweight, as you have noticed ;) . 1/4 cup of vegetable oil (soybean or corn oil is great) on her grain, adding alfalfa cubes or pellets if she'll eat it (if she is prone to choke, wet them into a mush) and feeding her separate from the other horses in case she is bullied off the hay will help a lot. Having a vet out to check for any pain problems might be a good idea, as chronic pain can cause weight loss and sometimes, picky eating. Your other horses look great!

Ranch Girl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have been giving her alfalfa pellets with some oil and lots of other stuff.

4-HKid

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I love gus and the palomino cloring itself!!!