MY JERSEY

COWGUY1123

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi, I just bought a 6 month pregnant Jersey yesterday(5 years old,third calf).I was just wondering if I could put 3 baby calves on her when she calves? How much grain do I need to feed her in quarts or gallons per day while she is pregnant and after she calves? And last of all, how much should I have paid for her if she was breed with a Holstein? THANK YOU.

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
Even a Jersey can produce a lot of milk, enough to let two or three more calves to be put on here, so I'd say that's a yes. As far as grain is concerned, it depends if she actually needs it, and comes from a farm where she's been fed grain before you got her. Some Jerseys have been bred or genetically selected so that you don't have to grain her all the time, and her just having grass is perfectly fine. Now I've no idea where this cow came from or what she's been fed prior to you purchasing her, but if you start graining her now with no idea if she's been on grain before or not, it's best to start small and slow and work your way up to the desired amount--like around a quart to half a gallon--that you feel is sufficient to feed her.

If she was bred to a Holstein, you may have had to pay a bit cheaper for her because the problems you might get once she starts calving is going to be a real headache. She should never have been bred to a Holstein, if she was indeed bred to one, because she's small (and Holsteins are big) and the calf she will have may end up being a big calf that will cause a fair bit of dystocia issues with her. Let's just hope that her genetics will win out and she won't have any problems calving out on her own.

COWGUY1123

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Even a Jersey can produce a lot of milk, enough to let two or three more calves to be put on here, so I'd say that's a yes. As far as grain is concerned, it depends if she actually needs it, and comes from a farm where she's been fed grain before you got her. Some Jerseys have been bred or genetically selected so that you don't have to grain her all the time, and her just having grass is perfectly fine. Now I've no idea where this cow came from or what she's been fed prior to you purchasing her, but if you start graining her now with no idea if she's been on grain before or not, it's best to start small and slow and work your way up to the desired amount--like around a quart to half a gallon--that you feel is sufficient to feed her.

If she was bred to a Holstein, you may have had to pay a bit cheaper for her because the problems you might get once she starts calving is going to be a real headache. She should never have been bred to a Holstein, if she was indeed bred to one, because she's small (and Holsteins are big) and the calf she will have may end up being a big calf that will cause a fair bit of dystocia issues with her. Let's just hope that her genetics will win out and she won't have any problems calving out on her own.
Thank You for taking your time and replying to my answers.All I know is that the Holstein was 1800 lbs. and I paid 850 for her. The farmer who sold her to me said she would be fine and so did a couple of other farmers in my area. I dont know if she used to be fed grain but she has 4 acres of fields a bit of hay and I give her about 1-2 gals. of food a day so she gets fatter because shes not skinny at all but she should probably get fatter for her pregnancy in 2-3 months and she is doing ok so far.

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
Try not to make her too fat otherwise she will be having problems calving. I'd probably limit the grain to around a gallon or less, and get her on more forage than grain at this point. You can start upping the grain portion when she starts getting close, if it's necessary. At this rate, you need to go backwards, get her to lose a little weight, reduce the grain, to the point where you're just maintaining her weight, not increasing it.

I'd love to see a picture of her, btw. :)

COWGUY1123

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'll try to get a pic for you tomorrow.

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
If she's never calved before, I hope you have established a good relationship with a large animal veterinarian. I suspect you'll be needing one if she's bred to a Holstein. Hope I'm wrong! Good luck!

Azriel

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I wouldn't get in too big of a hurry to get extra calves for her till you know how much milk she has. Most of the time if they come from a dairy the reason they are sold is because they are low producers, and thats not always bad, you just don't want to get too many calves that she can't feed them all. Then you need to see if she will even take fosters, some do, some don't no matter how hard you try.
Don't let her get too fat as that increases the chance of calving problems. Full bred Jersey calves are about 50-60 lbs at birth, Holstein calves can be 100+ lbs at birth. A 5 year old cow that has had several calves may be OK, but I would have someone lined up to help if you need to pull that calf.
Good luck and hope all works out OK

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wouldn't get in too big of a hurry to get extra calves for her till you know how much milk she has. Most of the time if they come from a dairy the reason they are sold is because they are low producers, and thats not always bad, you just don't want to get too many calves that she can't feed them all. Then you need to see if she will even take fosters, some do, some don't no matter how hard you try.
Don't let her get too fat as that increases the chance of calving problems. Full bred Jersey calves are about 50-60 lbs at birth, Holstein calves can be 100+ lbs at birth. A 5 year old cow that has had several calves may be OK, but I would have someone lined up to help if you need to pull that calf.
Good luck and hope all works out OK

x2

COWGUY1123

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My jersey just gave birthvto her little calf just a couple of days ago and ive been trying to post a picture but my phones not been letting me.

Latest posts