UglyDog

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
normal_P6110085.JPG

normal_P6110090.JPG

normal_P6110091.JPG

normal_P6110088.JPG

Proud to announce "Clover".
I have been ill and have relied on the youngins around her to inform me of behavior changes. As expected I went to make my rounds and check all the animals waters & such and went to the goat pen to see Gizmo had just dropped a wet bubble and a kid. I went in immediatly to clean the airways as mamma was working on the other end. About 10 minutes later she dropped another, it was still born. I was quite sad, as it was a pretty tri-colored female, try as I did I was unable to get it to breath. This all happend about 11:30 am.

I have a question and concern, little Clover was panting terribly about 2:30 this afternoon, after observingher for a few minutes I made the decision to bring her inside, so she could cool offan d giver her a bottle to make sure she did not get dehydrated.

I returned her to her momma in about 30 minutes and she sucked her momma and rested seemed normal. Again about 5 pm she seemed hot and panting again, I made sure to get her up for a drink from momma and decided it would start to cool down and wanted to leaver her with her mom and not become dependent on me.

Any Advice on anything better to do for Clover getting so hot in the daytime heat?

When will the baby start drinking water on her own?

My other Doe is due anytime now also, how long between kids before I get worried? as to prevent more born dead, I expect to other doe to have twins also, because she is so big.

haviris

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
She's a beauty! Congrates, I'm sorry about the other one, atleast you were there! You'll have to post dry pics!

username taken

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Congrats!

Generally kids will be born up to half an hour apart

Sometimes stillborns just happen no matter what we do

If one doesnt breathe at birth, you can rub it with a rough towel, or a handful of hay, poke it up the nose with a piece of hay, and grasp it by the back legs and swing gently. I keep this sort of stimulation up as long as I can feel a heart beat, if there is still a heart beat there is still a chance to get them breathing.

This baby would benefit from a dose of vitamin A, D and E for the back legs, also a Bo-Se wouldnt go astray.

Sometimes for the first few days they are a bit dumb and dont seek shade, put her into the shade and she should be fine.

UglyDog

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks Everybody, We love her already.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a Bo-Se?

How soon can I give her Safeguard?

The vitamin should it be oral or an injectible?

username taken

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Safeguard is a wormer, yes? I dont worm until weaning at 8 - 12 weeks.

Bo-Se is selenium and vitamin E, in paste form I believe. along with
vitamin A D and E it will help her not to bend out on those back legs. talk to your vet about getting them - here in Aus I get both as an injectable, I'm pretty sure Bo-Se in US is oral, not sure bout the vits

Rence

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Clover is adorable! Congratulations :)

And I buy BoSe in injectable form from the vet. I didn't even know it came in a paste.

dkluzier

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I've gotten Selenium-E paste at Tractor Supply. And kid/lamb paste is sold there also.

Your kid is awesome!! Sorry about the one you lost.

Latest posts