My little doeling is so cold!

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I gave everyone some warm water, that seemed to help. :D

My little wethers are suddenly unphased by this cold and rain and are standing out in it grazing. The bigger girls go out for a little bit and then right back in.

My little doeling is doing better without a heat lamp so far. No more sweater either. I set up some plywood in a few corners to give them space to curl up and hold in body heat. That seems to be working, or else the little girl is just getting used to the cold. :hu She's not shivering at all anymore and was even out in the rain a while yesterday. She's pretty active too. Maybe she realizes that the more active she is, the warmer she is! :clap

I also got them a high protein, higher fat goat feed and have been supplementing them with some corn oil. Perhaps that is doing something as well.

This weather is supposed to let up after tomorrow. :fl Then its going to be pretty warm compared to this!

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The sun is out, the weather is returning to normal for this time of year and my little goats are so much happier! They are outside playing and basking in the sun :weee No more rain for a while I hope, and no more cold snaps until the animals are better prepared for it! :celebrate

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Ya know, it's funny that there are two threads here about cold goats because I noticed yesterday that two of our youngest were shivering Saturday morning..

The weather's different everywhere, of course, but I think what's happened around here this year is that their winter coats just aren't in well enough for it to be as cold as it's been so far..

With ours, I'm pretty confident that they'll catch up and be OK.. Just odd to see a 7-8mo goat shivering..