My Llama Won't Get Up

Patchesnposies

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks, so much. I didn't mean to be so terse, but this was a lot harder to go through than I anticipated. He went downhill so fast.

I appreciate all of the help and advice everyone gave us.

Shiloh Acres

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I'm very sorry to hear that. Wish I could say something to make it better, but my thoughts are with you.

jamess

Just born
Reaction score
Did you ever find out what was wrong?

I have a llama who can't stand up except when I left him with the tractor, then he is Ok til he tries to move, and he falls down.
He is eating ok.
I have another llama who spends a lot of time lying down but can get up and move about. I don't think she is eating much. I have two other llamas who seem fine.

Goatherd

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have a llama who can't stand up except when I left him with the tractor, then he is Ok til he tries to move, and he falls down.
He is eating ok.
I have another llama who spends a lot of time lying down but can get up and move about. I don't think she is eating much.
I would certainly be concerned if I had an animal that had to be lifted with a tractor to stand and then falls down. Does he lay in his excrement and urine? Also, the female who isn't eating much and lays down a lot would also send up red flags that something is wrong. Have they been seen by a veterinarian?

jamess

Just born
Reaction score
I am concerned too, and yes he is sitting in his urine & excrement...
He looks happy and is eating hay, he vet came and did a blood test so hopefully this evening we will know, for better or worse.
The other llama is walking better and is eating, I haven't seen her drink for a while though. She has also had a blood test

Goatherd

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Good to hear that a vet was consulted and hopefully you'll have some definite answers when the blood test is completed. Best of luck to you.

jamess

Just born
Reaction score
The blood test came back very anemic
I have (in french)
Hematies 1,65 million/mm3 ( i think this should be 10-17)
Hemaglobin 10.6 g/dl
Hematocrite 6,0%

there are more figures..

Anyway as a result the vet wasn't sure if it is Pyroplasmosis (a tick born desease) or hook worm so she treated for both. She doesn't think pyro because there wasn't a violent reaction.
We will wait and see if there is any improvement. In the meantime I have some special glucose stuff to give him.
Wasn't there a miracle where Jesus made someone walk again? That is going to be what he needs