My Llama Won't Get Up

Goatherd

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thanks for the report. At least you know what you're dealing with and hopefully he will have a full recovery. Yes, miracles happen every day so don't give up hope.
Did the vet suggest any improvement in his diet since he is anemic?

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
Did your vet mention ulcers? Llamas are prone to stress ulcers. I lost one of my best llamas to them a few years ago. Just something to think about if your current treatment doesn't seem to be helping.

jamess

Just born
Reaction score
I would like any suggestions for improving his diet. He is eating some hay some carrots and some goat granules.

Goatherd

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
There's a lot happening with your llama at this point in time so as the vet said, you should wait to see if he improves with the worming and glucose supplement.

When you said the report was in French, may I assume you live in France or some French speaking country? Only reason I ask is that some products are not always available to all of us.

Before you give anything, I would ask your vet. A nutritional drench such as this http://www.amazon.com/MSE-Microbial-Drench-1-Quart/dp/B0062BWB12 might be beneficial at this point to stimulate the appetite. Also, injections of vitamin B complex may also help with strength and spur a desire to eat.

If you have access to goat pellets do you think you may find him llama pellets specifically? These would be more appropriate and nutritionally balanced for your llama.
Also, minerals designed specifically for llamas and alpacas would be better for him as they would be targeted specifically to his needs.

Because your llama is compromised I would definitely ask your vet before doing any of this as I wouldn't want it to interfere with the course of treatment he is receiving now.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Does your vet have Sulcrafate? If he does, I would use that too. It is given at 1 tablet per 50 lbs twice a day for ulcers.

I hope your llama pulls through.

possumom

Just born
Reaction score
Hello everyone
I have had exactly the same thing happen to me now. My male llama Malibu is down and won't get up. He doesn't appear like anything is wrong except he can't get up. He is bright eyed, eating and drinking great. it is the oddest thing. He was wormed last week with Ivermectin but i am going to see if we even have Safeguard up here. I am very afraid we are going to lose him because of everything i have read the prognosis is not good for him at all. We live along way from towns and vets but i will be calling them tomorrow. He was quite thin when he came in with the goats and we got ahold of him. He is 8 yrs old and we got him in the fall 2012. Is Safeguard the only treatment for this worm as llama savvy vets are few and far between up here.

jamess

Just born
Reaction score
My animals may have hook worm which you have to use Panacur to get rid of (Ivermec doesn't work) - I don't know whether Safeguard is the same- I have a tube of Panacur in the barn if you want me to read the ingredients

possumom

Just born
Reaction score
Thank you James , that would be great because I have only been able to find a small amount of info on Safeguard and my vet still has not gotten back to me other then to say that he has not run into much of the menningeal worm up here. But then at the same time every symptom of my llama fits. arghhh. He is still down but eating like a horse , clear eyes. etc, he just can't stand. I am trying to figure away of building an A frame to maybe get a sling under him to lift him at least for a little bit, He is quite thin and they think he could be just weak but i am worried about how long he can be down before he won't be able to get up due to muscle atrophy.
Thanks
Barb

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Safeguard and Panacur are the same thing. You need to dose it at 1cc per 7 lbs and give it for 5 days in a row. Can your llama get up at all? Did this come on slow? What exactly has been going on with your llama?

If you have ticks, the other possibility is ticks.