My new Bottle baby

WyndSyrin

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Well this year is almost a repeat of last year. I have a brand new bottle baby. He is only a few hours old when I found him stuck in a ditch in some really nasty mud. I tried to reunite him with his Mother but she refused to accept him. So now I have him in the barn and it will be a fun time. Pics will be coming soon

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I would try to get the calf and cow in a small pen, and see if they can't make amends. Calves always do much better when raised on their actual mother. It's also a LOT less work! You might want to try Calf Claim. It's a powder that cows love to lick, and it often gets them to accept a calf. Good luck!

WyndSyrin

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We had tried that the day after we brought him up to the barn. she would only come about half way then run away. our vet said that she got confused when it fell in the ditch and decided that when he was presented to her again that it was not her calf. I have already raised 2 calves that are thriving, so this just gives me a tiny bit more work to do, but I am used to it. Don't get me wrong I would rather that calf be taken by momma, but if she won't then I guess I will be a calf momma again this year

WyndSyrin

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Here is the pic of the little guy
0511181141a.jpg

WyndSyrin

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
well the little guy is now 5 days old and eating his bottles like a champ. He now sees me as his mother. I have brought in my youngest bottle calf Mikey as a companion for him. I have been feeding him 4 half bottle a day at 4hr intervals. I have estimated him to be at least 100lbs when he was born based on how big he was when he was born

WyndSyrin

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Well now the baby is on 2 bottles a day now. Also to add to my long fun summer I now have a 2 day old bottle baby from another cow that is having issues standing. When she stand the "wrist" joint right above her hoof moves and she is walking on that joint and not her front hooves. our Vet says to keep an eye on her for a week to make sure she is getting stronger other wise he will have to put splints on her legs. I guess I am wondering if this is normal for Calves to have a hard time with their feet like this or not

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
For goat kids if they walk like that it means they didn't get enough selenium. That messes with their joints.

I would guess with a calf it would be the same kind of thing, mineral or vitamin deficiency of some kind.

Since it is bad enough to mess up the joints, I would get a shot to give him. An injection could be used right away and help him grow right.