My new Jenny is losing hair all of a sudden

JwPond

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Does anyone know what this is? I just noticed it today. I just got her and her little Minnie donkey friend about a week ago. The big one is the one with the hair loss. Her name is Ruth. The little one is Esther. Ruth hasn’t let me touch her yet, although she will eat carrots and apples that I hand feed her. The little one lets me pet her. Do you think it’s nerves, or is it ringworm, or another kind of infection? Any help is very much appreciated!
AFE6AB26-AD0B-4901-AC7F-5824CB031813.jpeg
1753C8EC-3FD3-414E-9FA4-4603DDF5B5E0.jpeg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Is that the only bare spots? They look like bite marks. They could be arguing on who is going to be the leader. In every herd there is the lead mare and there is always the one on the bottom of the social order, no matter the size of the herd.

JwPond

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I’ve never seen them argue or fight. They were my neighbors across the street before I got them. I bought both because they’re inseparable and love each other. I don’t see any wounds where the skin has been torn. I have some blue coat spray. Do you think I should spray some on the bare areas?

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm wondering about rain rot. Donkey hair doesn't shed water like horse hair does, and those two are pretty wooly; if they've been getting wet to the skin, nasty things could be going on.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
My minis had a bout of rain rot a few years ago. We got an extended spell of wet weather right at the time when they were growing in their winter coats. When they are summer slick it isn't a problem, and when they are properly winter fluffy they shed rain like a sheep (except for the mule, she gets soaked, regardless). Getting rained on during that period when they were fuzzy, but not yet shaggy, meant they got wet and stayed that way. It was just a few scattered postage stamp sized patches, so not bad. I obsessed over it throughout that winter, but once they shed out the next spring, it cleared up entirely and didn't return (and I learned to put their hay under shelter during inclement weather).

Rammy

Herd Master
Reaction score
I know when my horse would get rain rot, from her coat being so thick in the winter, I could literally just pull her hair and she would be bald undeneath. It never was red or irritated like that.
It does look like rain rot. I changed my answer after zooming in the pic.

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
It looks like rain rot to me...
You can mix some iodine with gentle shampoo and wash the spots. That will help clear up rain rot.
Adding apple cider vinegar to the water will also help...it changes the pH of the skin making it a less suitable place for fungus and pests. Tea tree oil works too but if you're not careful it can irritate the skin more.
I've always found that the natural remedies work much better for rain rot :)

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
The first time I saw rain rot I was horrified, I thought they had mange. :lol: Per the instructions of a friend, I put several cap fulls of Pine O' Pine in a bucket of water and sponged it on my horses. TaDa! No more mange! :yesss:

Latest posts