My New LGD Puppies!

MonsterMalak

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
5 months is not to old....

Just take PLENTY of time in the introduction. Fence the dog next to the livestock, and every day when you are out there with him, let him out with them.

The mentality of Born with the sheep is more important is the dog is expected to follow the livestock over thousands of acres. If fenced in with them, get him to accept them and not play or attack them. Supervise them until mature or can be trusted longer and longer.

If any bad habbits are started, back up and go slower.

If he has good LGD traits, he will fall in place and be a great dog.

My dogs can be introduced to something new, and in 1 month, fully accept it as if raised with them.

Have to say that few things are as cute as a Pyrenees pup!!!!!!!!

EllieMay

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
fortheloveofgoats said:
Wow, thanks for sharing. You did great with the pictures and the little story too. They are too cute. Hope they do a good job for you when they are older. Sure looks like they will at least get along with animals. Were they with chickens before you bought them?
Hi, thanx. Yes, I'm hoping they do an awesome guardian job when they become adults.

No, they were not with chickens before I bought them.
The breeder had chickens in an outside pen where the pups could see them, but they were separated because the male Pyr (father) would kill the chickens, so they've always been separated.

I've had the pups here with about 50 free-range chickens, and they do fine. They pretty much ignore the chickens.
The pups have also been joined by a Kangal pup the same age. So now the three of them are hanging out with the chickens.

In the Spring we're getting sheep and another Turkish LGD, so the two Turkish LGD's will be in the sheep pasture and the Pyr's will remain with the free-range chickens.

:)

Sheepdog

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Love the pics, and the story is just adorable... you should make it into a childrens book... very cute:D And your rooster is just gorgeous... in an ugly kinda way... and I don't mean that in an unkind way... I love anything that is unusual and different.... if its cute/ugly, I love it.... which is why I raise and show Brussels Griffons...which really look like an ewok and I have had naked neck chickens, frizzles and Sebastapol Geese... and a Sphynx cat and a Devon Rex cat and a Selkirk Rex cat...... people either love em or they hate em.