My new llama family! (PICS)

BellLisaMo

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Here are the new llamas I got today. One momma, one cria and one male. Unfortunately the person who owned them before I did, didn't take care of them... so the boys fur is all matted! I don't want to sheer them until the weather warms up. Do you guys have any other suggestions? I AM NEW TO LLAMAS... :)

3421_llamas_013.jpg

3421_llamas_019.jpg

3421_llamas_025.jpg

Oh, and I KNOW i have to get halters to fit them, they were just dropped off today, so I will buy some new ones SOON!

savingdogs

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I don't know anything about llamas but these are great pictures! Beautiful colors.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
They are beautiful! Congratulations!

Now, to your question of grooming out the mats during the cold months.

I just got my first llama in late Sept 2010 and he was the same way. He was also very skittish and wouldn't come near us (he's come a long way as I now get llama kisses).
Here's what I did:
Get some horse brushes or even scrub brushes (no handle)
Screw them to a wall or wood post that is the height of the llama's shoulders, about a foot higher and a foot lower (you'll need at least 3 brushes)
My llama loves grooming himself and will spend a decent amount of time brushing himself. It took him almost 2 months but the mats were gone :)

dkosh

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Congratulations! I love llamas. Were are you located? I have a great sheerer if you in in my area. Eastern MA.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Congratulations!

To make it easier to catch them, have them go into smaller areas that you can work with them. I would recommend Cameidynamics by Marty McGee Bennett or Gentle Spirit Training by Cathy Spalding. Those are nice methods for handling camelids.

BellLisaMo

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
elevan said:
They are beautiful! Congratulations!

Now, to your question of grooming out the mats during the cold months.

I just got my first llama in late Sept 2010 and he was the same way. He was also very skittish and wouldn't come near us (he's come a long way as I now get llama kisses).
Here's what I did:
Get some horse brushes or even scrub brushes (no handle)
Screw them to a wall or wood post that is the height of the llama's shoulders, about a foot higher and a foot lower (you'll need at least 3 brushes)
My llama loves grooming himself and will spend a decent amount of time brushing himself. It took him almost 2 months but the mats were gone :)
Oh wow!!! Thats great to know!!! Thank you soooo much! I will have to do that!!!

BellLisaMo

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
ksalvagno said:
Congratulations!

To make it easier to catch them, have them go into smaller areas that you can work with them. I would recommend Cameidynamics by Marty McGee Bennett or Gentle Spirit Training by Cathy Spalding. Those are nice methods for handling camelids.
Thank you!!! I am going to have to build an "catch" area. My corral is wide open.... which makes it hard. They all run in groups! Once you get their rope, they don't run though. They will walk.

meldelfc

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Awww! They are so cute. I am jealous. Congratuations.