My "Oh Wow, they are here" Kidding Thread - PICS

ThreeBoysChicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So I purchased a Mother / Daughter Boer combo back in November. The person I purchased them from, said that they were exposed to the Buck starting 10/22/2012. Based on that, I would have expected them to deliver 3/21/2013. Well imagine my surprise when I went out this morning to feed and I realized that all the goats were following me except the Boer Goat Mom and Daughter. So I went back to the barn and into the stall and I hear bleating. "What is that, sounds like a mother talking to a baby". WHAT? :barnie I had not given them their kidding shave, I had not given them their CDT shot, I had not put down fresh clean bedding, did not have any heat lamps ready to go. Well sure enough, the Daughter (B002) had a 7 lb doeling laying in the corner and both she and her mom were her attentive to the baby.

With that, I checked the Mother (B001) and sure enough, her udder was full, her ligaments were gown. WHAT? :barnie she is going to have her baby also. But I am getting ahead of myself.

I noticed that B002's udder was only the size of a grapefruit and she had nothing coming out. I was a little worried, so I called Roll Farms (THANK YOU FOR TAKING MY CALL) and she advised that since it had been about 4 hours and I had not seen the baby nurse, I should get some Colostrum Replacer. So off I went to Tractor Supply and picked it up. But when I got home, the baby had latched on and sure enough there was milk / colostrum. So I may have worried a little to fast to soon :hide, but better safe than sorry. What I discovered with B001 is that nothing was coming out of her either, but there was like a waxy plug over the end of her teat, once that was off, she was free flowing. Always learning.....

Couple of hours later, B001 has long stringy discharge. Wait, she is pushing. I called my boys and they came out. She was great and did not mind us standing there and 4-5 pushes and out came her 8.5 lb buckling. Everyone is doing fine this evening.

I just have to say, to you folks that have 20, 30 and 40 does to kid, I do not know how you do it. Two today and I am warn out.

Here are some pics.....

B002's Doeling - Very early this morning - 6:00 am EST. Still wet.
1520_wb002_baby_20130217_6.jpg

B002 - She was looking at me like, What the heck just happened. She was a little slow, but eventually, she cleaned her up and is now more attentive.
1520_wb002_baby_20130217_2.jpg

B001 - Worrying / Checking on her daugher B002 and the little one.
1520_wb002_baby_20130217_4.jpg

B002's Doeling - All dried off, sleeping on my wife's lap for a few minutes - 7 lbs.
1520_wb002_baby_20130217_pm_9.jpg

B001 and her Buckling - She is an excellent mother - Very attentive.
1520_wb002_baby.jpg

B001's Buckling - All dried off. 8.5 lbs
1520_wb001_baby_20130217_3.jpg

ThreeBoysChicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Fortunately, I witnessed my next doe to kid (Nina) being bred, so I am pretty confident, we will not have any more babies until April.

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Ain't that something! I love boer babies. They're so cute :)

I personally like to be surprised by my ewes :) Back when my sheep were at my neighbor's, I loved going to the barn to discover a new little family all tucked away. Then I'd call my neighbor and since I was already in the barn he would let me process them (tag, dock, castrate) lol.

ThreeBoysChicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
WhiteMountainsRanch said:
Congrats! Sorry you were unprepared, that would have shocked me!!! :ep
In hind sight, It was actually nice. I had not started worrying, counting down the days, etc. I am very relieved, because they did it today and not one day this week, when I am work, 1.25 hours away from home.

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
ThreeBoysChicks said:
WhiteMountainsRanch said:
Congrats! Sorry you were unprepared, that would have shocked me!!! :ep
In hind sight, It was actually nice. I had not started worrying, counting down the days, etc. I am very relieved, because they did it today and not one day this week, when I am work, 1.25 hours away from home.

Well that's great then that you were able to be home!!! :clap

Shelly May

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
congrads, and yes knowing the due dates is a stressful time, waiting game. Glad all were healthy good deliveries for you since it was a surprise.:thumbsup