My plans for my herd....

West Knoll Farm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
At this time I have 2 Nubian dry yearling girls, which I plan to breed as soon as they start cycling this year.
I have an Alpine doeling, born in Feb. this year coming to live here in another few weeks and she will hopefully be ready to breed by Nov or Dec.
From these 3, that I really want to milk by hand and have milk to drink, make cheese, butter and other yummies like Cajeta :drool , I believe I will breed them to a ND.
Maybe keep one or two doelings from the crosses and have my little herd. I am hoping the milk will add to my ideas of flavor and richness.

All bucks will be put in the freezer after a few months old so I can skip the crazy sales thing. Saying that, extra doelings can be sold. :fl
I do not plan to keep a buck, but rather breed to an outside buck that has been tested neg. for CAE etc. I do have room for a buck but would rather not feed one year around, if I can help it. And I have heard that ND are great escape artists! :barnie

Has anyone here done this same thing or along these same lines?
If so, what did you like or dislike about it. :caf

West Knoll Farm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have never seen a mini Nubian or a mini Alpine. I am more about the milk than the goats but they are nice to be around. I took Animal Husbandry in college and worked in the animal field all my life so I am past a lot of lovey dovey sweetie pie stuff and more about how can I get the most out of an animal I am having to feed.
However, I love the floppy ears of the Nubians!

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do you have your CAE negative ND buck lined up yet?

I'm not sure how it is in other areas, and how other people feel about these things, but I don't lease my bucks as a rule.
And, I'm not sure the fact that someone has a paper that said a buck tested negative for CAE would be worth much if he is leasing him around to different people. I mean, I see a few ads on CL for people advertising a buck for lease, but keep in mind they may be leasing to anyone. I see more ads from people wanting to lease a buck. Not sure how it works out for them.

You may want to keep that in mind.

West Knoll Farm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Yes, I have one lined up. A friend has 2 and he thinks one would be better for the milk lines that he bred him for to use on my girls. I would not want just any buck and if I had to take my girls to the buck I could do that but I think he is going to bring one here for me to use.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, I have one lined up. A friend has 2 and he thinks one would be better for the milk lines that he bred him for to use on my girls. I would not want just any buck and if I had to take my girls to the buck I could do that but I think he is going to bring one here for me to use.
:thumbsup

woodsie

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
sounds like a good plan...other than the "little herd" and selling doelings...good luck...its impossible to not keep those adorable little kids. :p